Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
your best combo

Posted by denidill 3a Alberta (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 20, 06 at 22:12

Hi,
I am sure this has been talked about in the past...but what about your favorite combination for plants with lilies. I am new at growing them and trying to figure out what will look good with them AND hide the dying foliage later on.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: your best combo

I like them in mixed borders with other perennials.. and the variety of perennials they rub shoulders with is really too big to get into here! (We can grow an amazing range of hardy perennials in Calgary, where I see you are situated too.) So don't limit yourself. Compatible conditions, heights and avoiding over-crowding are about the only rules.
Also, lilies don't really die back until very late in fall, so there is really no need to be concerned about "hiding dying foliage". (Perhaps you are thinking more of bulbs such as tulips, daffodils that go dormant after blooming?) If you select your lily cultivars and species for the widest bloom range, you can have lilies flowering from June into September. And in fact, very late in fall, lilies provide some very nice fall color, as the stems and leaves on different varieties turn various shades of yellow, gold, burgundy and purple. As botrytis is not a concern in our very dry climate here, I have never seen any need to cut down lily stems, thus they add interest through the winter too.

o

I use lilies everywhere.

Mixed asiatics with Cinnamon Fern

Image hosting by Photobucket

Endless Summer Hydrangea and Pink Lilies

Trumpet Lilies near Crab Apple Tree and hostas

Daylily and White Henryi, purely by accident

Daylilies, Catmint & LA Hybrid Lilies

o

My spring tulip garden gives way to a garden full of lilies & glads with a spattering of peonies in-between the clumps. The image below has some lilies that I have no clue as to their names, however the spent tulips foliage can't be seen - too bad the place is being overrun by red lily beetles.
First come the tulips.....
Then come the lilies....
Nothing much left to see from the original tulip foliage...

o

I like the combination of warm-coloured lilies (such as 'Grand Cru', or 'African Queen') with large-leafed foliage plants such as Canna, Ricinus, bananas or Fatsia.

As shown in Leslie197's picture, lilies can also look great with large ferns.

o

• Posted by janetr Ottawa USDA 4a (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 3, 06 at 17:36

Bright-coloured lilies surrounded by Queen Anne's Lace.

White or pastel lilies growing up through a cloud of Rozanne geraniums.

Just about any kind fronted by a fat clump of heuchera. Palace Purple in front of pale Oriental lilies is very nice.

o

Last year, 'Black Beauty' was beautiful alongside Echinacea 'Magnus', with some arching branches of 'White Dawn' rose above.

- Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here