Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oriental lily received for Valentine's Day

Posted by BrownThumbsSOS WV (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 8:41

I received an Oriental Lily from the local grocery for Valentine's Day. It is, of course, already in bloom. I would like to transplant it to my garden, but I'm not sure how and when to do so. When will it be ready to be moved? Can I do it in the spring? And should it be planted in a north facing, west facing, or south facing part of my yard? (East facing is not an option because of my home's location.) All help is appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oriental lily received for Valentine's Day

Keep it in as much light as you can until spring, and don't over water it. Get it outside in the sunniest spot that you have after the last frost. It may go dormant a little earlier in the summer, or early fall, but should come back just fine next year. They are very hardy.

o
RE: Oriental lily received for Valentine's Day

Let the top growing portion of the lily dry out and whither or just cut it off and after that happens cut it at 1 inch above the bulb .Place the bulb in a ziplock bag with peat moss that has been moistened about what half of coffee grinds would look like after brewing and place it in your refrigerator for 6 to 8 weeks and if you place it in the ground in Z6 where you live your plant will think that it is spring again and go into full growth cycle.Always a south facing wall in our climate if not east is best secondary, good look my friend!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here