Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whatcomyodan

Curing bulbs of fungal contamination

whatcomyodan
16 years ago

I have a bed of oriental lilies which have matured to huge productive plants (8' high, 20+ fragrant blooms each.) About 4 years ago they began to develop what I have determined to be a fungal crud which turns leaves black and lifeless, causes developed buds to deform and not open, and sometimes causes the plant to die off at the tip and sit stunted all summer. This pathogen usually starts with one or two plant (not always the same ones) and then spreads to others. I find that an antifungal spray will work somehat.

What I will be doing today is digging up all the bulbs and moving them to another spot. Before replanting I think I will wash/soak them in something to kill off any contamination. I am thinking a diluted bleach solution will do. I also plan to remove some of the outer "petals" to get some new bulblets from. This forum has been a great help to me in the past. My questions: 1. Am I on the right track? 2. If not, what other solution is suggested? 3. Have I waited too long to begin transplanting this season, (zone 6 near Canadian border WA State)? 4. What is a good depth to plant big bulbs like these so they will stand strong?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!