Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
unknown lily (bulbs are scaly) growth unusual

Posted by mushibu10 zone 8 (UK) (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 4, 14 at 14:24

hello

I'm sorry I can't be more precise with the Lily, it is a scaly bulb like the oriental lilies I bought.

so they have been growing for about 3 months now and they seem so be going south quite literally. (see image)

plant care given;

they sit on sunny window cil with a 125w blue spectrum growlight with 6400k

they are watered every other day, to keep soil moist and given 1 drip of baby bio every two weeks

any advice on what is going on would be nice

thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: unknown lily (bulbs are scaly) growth unusual

Insufficient light

o

Bulbs are self sufficient units. Cut back on the water (bulbs will rot if constantly wet) and any fertilizer too.

o

so too much water and not enough light?

o

I'm new to this forum, but hoping to get more aquainted :)

I know I'm late, but has the problem been solved? if not...

I would have to say once every other day is too much water given the type of soil. From what I can tell a standard potting mix (lots of compost/peat moss and negligible amounts of perlite). For the future, i would mix equal parts potting mix and perlite. Perlite floats to the top over time, but for temporarily indoor plants i let it slide. I had a florists "stargazer" lily from valentines day last year, I let the pot approach dryness when flowering and let dry out afterwards. This year I am starting lilies and dahlia's indoors...since the lilies and a few dahlias broke dormancy (I guess that's what I get for a bargain price?).

I don't know anything about baby bio, nor how lilies in particular respond to fertilizers....but if it is really high in nitrogen that could be the reason for weak growth. Some plants respond with lanky, weak growth and even abort blooms with enough nitrogen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here