Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caryn_in_ma

Can I lift my lilies now?

caryn_in_ma
17 years ago

I am new at gardening, and planted my first lilies last year. They were so beautiful.

I just found out that we're moving, and it's going to be soon! I don't want to lose my lilies :(

Is there some way I can take them with me?

Thank you in advance...

Caryn

Comments (4)

• azngrnthumbs
    17 years ago

Hi Caryn,

If you dig deep and get as much of the basal roots as you can, you should be okay. Its really tricky trying to dig them now because you're very likely to spear into a bulb or damage a developing shoot (which will be this summer's flowers!!), but it's doable. Make sure they are potted up or transplantd ASAP once they're out of the ground!

Good luck!

Riz

• hld6
    17 years ago

Hi Caryn,

Where you live your immediate problem will be digging up the frozen ground. Besides being frozen rock hard, (got a jackhammer?) you won't be able to feel around through loosened dirt with your hands to gently find the bulbs and roots. Breaking apart frozen soil will snap off the roots. The bulbs will still grow, (afterall spring ordered bulbs won't be mailed out for a couple months) but blooming will be set back and possibly reduced (as the bulb uses energy to grow new roots). But since you're moving you'll have to dig them up as carefully as you can under the circumstances. I'd try to dig up a LARGE circle around them, and haul the frozen soil into a moderate temperature area (say garage or basement), let it thaw out and then separate the bulbs from the excess soil.

But don't keep them warm (above 40-50) for too long. Your bulbs have adapted to cold temperatures for awhile now, you want to be sure they don't "think its spring" and start sprouting. Are you moving some place in the same zone (with ground just as frozen)? If so, and the ground in your new garden is unworkable refrigerate the bulbs in some just moist peat moss until you can get them back into the ground. Right now MA is probably under some snow and cold temps. I'd wait for the first somewhat warm spell (40's and up) which will make planting them a lot easier but won't induce spring growth.

Like Riz says you should watch for sprouts, just in case, but in your area (its probably been in the 20's at night) they probably haven't started much, if any, sprouting growth at this time. But it doesn't hurt to be careful. The east coast was so unseasonably warm just a few weeks ago, my snowdrops already bloomed and my daffodils are up 4 inches. Who knows what those lilies were doing!

Good Luck :)

-Helen

• gardnwatch
    17 years ago

Helen,
    You did such a great job explaining the above question about digging up plants this time of year. I wouldn't know where to begin explaining all that to someone who has never done it before. I do enjoy reading all the posts here on this forum. Your lot sounds lovely..I bet you have a continual blooming period in your gardens. I've tried to do that in mine...it's fun working out all the combinations.
    I just wish I had more space too...it can be a challenge fitting everything I want into already-tight spaces.
    I guess all the more reason to try and limit my purchases this year to a few types of flowers.
    Thanks for great advice you give to others....It makes good winter reading......
    Bonnie
    Middle River, Maryland

• caryn_in_ma
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you so much for such detailed, excellent advice. I think I may have enough time to wait for the ground to thaw, and before everything starts sprouting. We'll see. At least I know what to do regardless - don't hit the bulbs or break the roots! I did have some daffodils peeking out of the ground about a month ago (yeah, even in MA!) so I'll have to be very careful.

I appreciate the time you took to answer!

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area