Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caviler

Help with Red Spider Lilies, please.

Caviler
10 years ago

Hello All,

(would saying, 'Hello Y'all' be too much?)

I understand that Spider Lilies are not true lilies, but this seemed the obvious forum nonetheless. I've some questions on growing them. How deep do their roots go? I ask because I am cursed with about the most clay-ey soil you can imagine (if there is a more elegant way to get the idea of soil that is mostly clay across, PLEASE tell me). So if I do not dig their holes deep enough, water will likely rot the roots away. My next question may be moot due to my soil, but do these lilies spread? Finally, what level of sun is ideal for them? I am in Baton Rouge, Louisiana (I do not hunt alligators or sell duck calls) and have seen them in full - and I mean full - sun and I have seen them wild in palmetto bottomlands. Palmetto bottomlands are forests whose understory consists mainly of, you guessed it, palmettos. These areas are prone to flooding and do so fairly regularly - some very year, some once every 5-6 years. There isn't much sun getting down to the lilies in those areas. Ideally, I'd like them as a shade plant but from what I've read online they require at minimum 4 hours of direct sun with full sun being by far preferable. So what's the REAL info from gardeners who actually garden?

I myself, having fallen on hard times physically, chose gardening as a 'light' hobby to occupy my time last year. If this doesn't show you my ignorance of gardening, nothing else will.

Sincerely,
Jeremy

Comments (2)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler