Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swontgirl_z5a

Can Lily bulbs be refridgerated?

swontgirl_z5a
14 years ago

Hi,

I bought some Lily bulbs at a garden show today. I don't want them to grow yet and don't have a good cool place to store them where I think they won't freeze. Can I put them in a refridgerator? I have a small one that I use for seeds some times. Does it matter if there is fruit etc in with them?

Debbie

Comments (10)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

Lily bulbs do not go fully dormant like many other types of bulbs and can deteriorate rapidly if left to their own devices. My first choice would be to pot them up and keep them in a cool, dark location until you can plant them outdoors. Alternately, you can refrigerate them but they need to be in a breathable container (no plastic bags) and with something to retain bulb moisture (barely moist sawdust or peat or wrap in dampened newspaper). They will be subject to the same damage from ethylene gas as will any other bulb so keep away from any fruits and vegetables.

• swontgirl_z5a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Gardengal,
    I have them in some wooden clementine crates with damp wood shavings but am still looking for somewhere that I don't think will freeze in the next month. It is still getting quite cool here at night and my garage is darn close to freezing if not there.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    14 years ago

IÂm glad you posted this. I just bought some that are sprouted, and I know I canÂt plant them outside for a while. I normally donÂt buy anything this early. I am also looking for a way to retard them. For now I have them on the cold basement cement floor. My lily society is also having their spring sale in a few weeks, and I donÂt expect IÂll be strong enough to stay away.

• ctopher_mi
    14 years ago

Lily bulbs store best at temperatures just below freezing: about 28 degrees for asiatics (though they can tolerate much colder), about 30 for orientals (they are more sensitive). As was mentioned, pack them in peat to keep moisture off the bulbs themselves, or mold could grow. Home freezers get far too cold for bulbs, plus if it is a frost free type it is far too dry for them as well, and refrigerators are usually too warm. Once the bulbs get above 32 degrees they will start to sprout, unless they are so dried out they can't.

Cold garage in the upper 20s is fine, but then as it warms up they will start to sprout. I have 2 temperature and humidity controlled freezers for lily bulb storage, but when those are full the overflow goes into the coldest part of the garage, on the floor, until I can plant them outdoors or in pots.

Chris

14 years ago

Sounds like I'd better move these to the garage. It's at least colder than my basement. Thanks!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

I would avoid exposing lily bulbs directly to any freezing temperatures. That can irreparably damage the bulbs. Ideal storage temperatures are 34-40F. They can certainly be kept in a refrigerator for a period of time (see link - should not be very long) but NOT in the freezer or at below freezing temps. Storage temperatures are far different than the temperatures they experience planted in the ground and even those don't get all that cold due to the insulating properties of soil.

My suggestion of potting them up in containers and then storing at cool temps until you can plant them in the ground is really the ideal situation. Even if they start growing, they are easily transferred to a permanent location at the appropriate time.

Here is a link that might be useful: care of lily bulbs

14 years ago

Thanks. Looks like I need to pot mine. I don't have a refigerator that is safe to use (extra frig sometimes freezes things). After potting, where should they go? Windowless dark attached garage? Or basement window next to windowwell, which tends to be quite cold but is very bright?

• ctopher_mi
    14 years ago

Hi Gardengal,

I think that website suggests the refrigerator for home gardeners to avoid them from putting them into a freezer. Freezers can be 0 to 10 degrees, which yes, that would destroy bulbs. However, dormant bulbs can be kept dormant and are safely stored when just slightly frozen, like I mentioned just a little below the freezing mark, for up to 2 years. As soon as the temp gets above 32 degrees the bulbs immediately start to grow, so you really can't store them that long (only a few weeks as the article you linked to mentions).

I agree you don't want to put them in a freezer. A little below freezing really is just fine, though. Pack the bulbs in a bag of peat moss and they will keep really well like that. Trust me ;)

Chris

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

Lilies do not go fully dormant like many other bulbs. I doubt many home growers have the skill or the facilities to store lilies long term and that's why virtually all the sources you will find will recommend to plant them as soon as possible. The longer they remain unplanted, the greater the chances the bulbs will deteriorate.

Light is not a big concern for potted bulbs - temperatures are. Keep them where they will remain below 40F but above freezing. Even in zone 5 you should be able to plant them out in the next month or so.

• Laurie Rabideau
    7 years ago

I am cleaning out my beds this year and have Lillies that I am growing in pots, can I simply leave them in the pots over the winter and "tuck them in" as I do my other perrenials?