Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can my bulbs survive in zone 7b?

Posted by ceravea (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 6:22

Hello,
I plan to buy some Oriental lilies this week to spruce up my balcony. I live in zone 7b and balcony faces south.

I do not have a garage to store the bulbs in, so I plan to carry the pots just outside of the door. Since door faces inside of the apartment complex, bulbs will be protected from wind, rain and snow. Do you think this is enough? Or do I need to carry them to a warmer place?

I wish to grow Little John and Double Oriental Lilies, however I am willing to try other types of lilies that are more suitable to my conditions.

Thank you very much

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can my bulbs survive in zone 7b?

I moved to N Mississippi last summer and carried all my herbaceous and bulb perennials with me - lily bulbs stayed in plastic pots all winter - still alive but dormant now. Easter lilies planted in the ground are showing stems so I doubt your hardy Orientals will mind the winter here - I would be more worried about summer heat.

o
RE: Can my bulbs survive in zone 7b?

If you live in Erzurum or Ankara, placing them in that open but protected area would be fine. If that doorway also faces south, you might want to cover them with a light colored box to keep the pots from getting to warm from the winter sun. In areas of Istanbul, Ismir, Antalya, Sanliurfa, and Zongiuldak, no winter protection would be needed at all except in areas of heavy winter rain (Anatalya, etc). There, pots should be tipped on their side to prevent waterlogging the bulb and placed along a north facing wall or coolest spot available. Keep in mind that liliums like orientals need a cold resting period to produce an abundance of flowers the next season and even allowing the the pots to freeze almost solid won't hurt them.

Orientals like sun and a little dappled afternoon shade, although not necessary in the more moderate climates like Istanbul. On the other hand, full sun on a south facing bacony in places like Antalya and Sanliurfa would be too hot and flowers would fade quickly, Always use pots with lots of drain holes and a soil that drains well like sandy loam. Mulch the top of the pots to keep the bulb and roots cool.

There are dwarf Orientals about 5 to 7 cm tall on the market now that work well for patios.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here