Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I plant now???

Posted by leonessa Z5 ME (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 1, 06 at 8:36

Hi...I stopped at Home Depot the other day and found the most amazing selection of bulbs, riozomes, and tubers!!! I bought 3 differant types of oriental lilies. I was wondering if I can pot them up, and set them in my unheated greenhouse. It's COLD here right now. REALLY COLD, but the weather's been CRAZY. 2-3 weeks ago we had 50 degree days, and the GH's auto vents were open. I'm winter sowing in the greenhouse, and all of the pots are frozen solid in there right now. Would it hurt the bulbs to freeze at this point? I would appreciate any help that anyone can give.

~Kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I plant now???

Your lilies will probably be the most forgiving of all the summer bulbs they've put out right now because they are winter hardy and require a chill before they put forth growth and bloom.

Lilies purchased in spring have been specially stored, frozen in peat, prior to packing and distribution so they've already been chilled and are prepared to go in the garden as long as you can work the soil. If the ground is still frozen you have two options:

1) Keep the lilies in their bag with the packing media around them such as peat moss or wood shavings (poke holes in the bags to allow air circulation) and store in a cold dark place such as the garage or area that won't freeze solid, then thaw, and freeze again. Once they start sprouting, then you have to go to #2 below...

2) Pot them up in a container (small pots work fine if you plan to move them out into the garden when the soil thaws) and keep in a area that won't have the freezing and thawing action mentioned above. If they freeze, keep them frozen by covering them with something (blankets work for me) and as spring arrives, they'll gradually thaw unharmed and are ready to grow for you!!

I hope this helps!

good luck

I'm surprised that your greenhouse potted plants are frozen!

Cheers,

Riz

o
RE: Can I plant now???

I did the same thing because of getting Home Depot giftcards for my birthday. I'm glad I saw this because I've never planted Lilies before & was wondering the same thing. Hahaha, thanks! Shannon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here