Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oriental Lilies - how long to flower?

Posted by welham 4/5 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 25, 07 at 9:33

Hi,

I have Oriental Lily bulbs and want to start them indoors in order for them to be just ready to bloom the last week of May (26th/27th). How long in advance do I need to plant them and any tips on what I need to do? I have never grown them indoors before.

Also, is there a difference in bloom time for Asiatic, Oriental and LA Hybrids when grown indoors?

Thanks,
Lakshmi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oriental Lilies - how long to flower?

• Posted by hld6 z7 MD (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 25, 07 at 22:59

Forcing lily bulbs is a $$$ business so if you search that in Google you should get a lot of sites come up. Greenhouse conditions have a strong effect on number of flower buds, height of plants, and bloom time. You can find forcing time for different types of lilies. (Yes they are different indoors just as they are outdoor.)

The Maryland Cooperative Extension has a publication that can be found as a pdf at, www.agnr.umd.edu/MCE/Publications/PDFs/FS687.pdf

It shows forcing times ranging from 80-110 days for a variety of oriental lilies, so you're probably too late for May.

-Helen

o
RE: Oriental Lilies - how long to flower?

I'm afraid you are too late to try to get blooms by May.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here