Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saged_gw

Lilium ´´Black beauty´´ ancestors?

saged
17 years ago

Does anyone know the parental makeup of this variety?

Also, has anyone tried growing it in hotter climates like zone 11?

Kind regards

Darren

Comments (9)

• magnolialover
    17 years ago

The information I have about "Black Beauty" is that it was bred nearly 50 years ago by Leslie Woodriff from L. speciosum var. rubrum and L. henryi. I grow it here in zone 5a and it does beautifully, hopefully someone from a warmer zone will chime in to help you with that part. "Black Beauty" is a beauty. It gets 7 feet tall here.

• saged
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you.

What group of lilies are these from?

Trumpet, aurelian etc?

Many thanks

Darren

• magnolialover
    17 years ago

I believe the two lilies that went into this plant fall under the species category (IX) but I have seen "Black Beauty" itself listed under the Orienpet section (oriental x trumpet or OT) in catalogues for the most part.

• saged
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the info.
    Darren

• leftwood
    17 years ago

I too have seen what Magnolia says, even though in actuality:
    Lilium speciosum var. rubrum is an oriental (Section 4)
    Lilium henryi is an asiatic (Section 5), and not a trumpet(Sec 6)

• hld6
    17 years ago

Hi Darren,

Lilies will grow in zone 11 but you will need to refrigerate the bulb over the winter so it will leaf out the next season, or treat as an annual and plant new bulbs each spring.

-Helen

If you search the forum you'll find a lot of threads on this topic.

• magnolialover
    17 years ago

Lefty, I have seen places like Buggy Crazy and the Lily Register list them as species. Especially confusing is when "species" in the name and not have it be a species. Just when I think I have any of this down, I get thrown a curve.
    Makes one wonder how "Black Beauty" is an OT with parents as such.

• kayman
    17 years ago

Magnolialover,

"I get thrown a curve"

That's because you were right the first time. One shouldn't confuse a hybrid with one of the original species (Div. 9). The classification system was set up just to stop that kind of confusion. Speciosum and auratum (both Div. 9) are the main parents of the Oriental hybrids (Div. 7), whilst henryi and sargentiae (again, both Div. 9) are the parents of Debras' L. x aurelianense from which the Aurelian hybrids (part of Div. 6) get their name. Any 'trumpet' which has reflexed petals likely has henryi somewhere in it's ancestry.

• hld6
    17 years ago

Some sellers confuse "Heritage" with "Species".

Then there's all the sites that have the hybrids confused, with LO's listed as OT's, (Triumphator suffers from that mislabeling the most it seems.)

-Helen