Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My rain lily grew a new stalk

Posted by gardenper none (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 11:14

I had only 2 rain lilies last year, and kept them in some very small pot with regular dirt (not even potting soil). I did this since I didn't know much about them yet and it was more like growing to see if I'd like it or not.

Turns out that I do like them, and they actually overwintered in the garage without losing any leaves, so there didn't seem to be a particular dormant period where I might repot or replant them.

However, this year, I see the beginnings of another stalk coming out near the parent. Not sure if that would be another bulb or stalk from same bulb, but it's good that now there will be at least 3 flowering stalks.

Pretty happy about that, as well as knowing that they might naturalize well if planted out in the yard somewhere.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My rain lily grew a new stalk

I got some as a freebie with a bulb order, but never got around to planting them. Still feel guilty! Sometimes I do kill stuff, but usually after I at least TRY to help it grow. It looks like they are not hardy in my zone, though, so would have not survived for long anyway.

o
RE: My rain lily grew a new stalk

Yes I'm sometimes disappointed with the hot temps we get in spring and summer but at the same time, having mostly non-snowing/non-freezing winters means I don't have to do as much for plants that some other regions have to do.

Turns out this particular plant sent up at least 2 more single blades of leaves, so I'm hoping there are at least 3 baby rain lily bulbs.

I'm almost scared to replant it somewhere because then I'll might forget about it and not know which one he is, compared to the other plant that so far is still only having the parent's leaves showing up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here