Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vvesper

newbie question - can I move now?

vvesper
15 years ago

I have never grown lilies before, but my little girl picked out a pink watering can with three Mona Lisa lily bulbs in it at Lowes last year. They were on sale at end of season, I guess - already sprouting a bit when we planted them. Well, they never came up, and she was very disappointed.

Fast forward to this spring, and they are coming up! They're about a quarter to half inch out of the ground. Only problem is that we reconfigured our flower beds last fall. So we are in process of moving everything out of that bed and grassing it over. I have some daffodils in the bed that are about done blooming. I will have to leave them about 5-6 more weeks for the foliage to die back before moving them. So should I move the lilies now before they grow much? Or will they be done blooming and ready to move in 5-6 weeks? I have no idea about bloom time. I would really like to not miss the blooms this year, as she will be so excited to see "her flowers" bloom.

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• flora2b
    15 years ago

Better to move now as they not likely will be finished blooming in 5-6 weeks.
    You must be very careful when you dig up not to break the stem that is growing or you will not get flowers this year. If your soil is quite clayey you maybe able to move the three bulbs with one scoop of the shovel....making sure to get underneath the bulbs and roots. If the soil falls off the bulbs, just be sure not to break the stem and replant to about the same depth as previously (4-6")
    Good luck and enjoy the blooms,
    flora2b

• vvesper
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Great! Thank you! I know what DH will be doing tonight - getting one big scoop of dirt and bulbs to very carefully move them! He'll have a better chance than I would of getting deep enough and lifting the whole thing in one fell swoop! ;- )

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    15 years ago

DonÂt worry about the daffodils: I moved some last year right after blooming and before foliage yellowed because IÂ

Âneeded to move some lilies before those got too far along!

The lilies took priority. As it turned out the daffodils didnÂt miss a beat, even though most sat in a tray until the new place was ready. They are up in force now and look no different that ones that were planted with more care as to timing. The lilies are pickier, so I agree, get them moved. Carefully. They will reward you and your daughter! I planted Mona Lisa myself last spring and am really looking forward to seeing it!

• vvesper
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks - if I had my act together and marked them last spring, I could have moved the daffodils last fall! Oh well - the grass on that area that used to be flower bed will be too young to mow for awhile yet anyway. So when it starts to need mowing, we'll move the daffodils. If the soil isn't too wet to work, we're going to move the lilies tonight!

• gardenfanatic2003
    14 years ago

When I move lilies, I carefully dig a few inches down around the stalk, then water the stalk. Dig down a little more with my hands so as not to damage the bulb. Then carefully pull it up by the stalk. That's the only way I've been able to move lily bulbs without damaging the bulbs with the shovel.

Deanna

• flora2b
    14 years ago

Deanna,
    You must have sandy soil.....if I tried that the stalks would just pop off, even if I had the bulb uncovered and just the roots still in the ground.
    That's the difference between clay and sand I suppose.
    flora

• gardenfanatic2003
    14 years ago

No, I have clay soil - although it has been amended with compost. I think the watering is key - the bulb slides up through the mud. And I already have it mostly uncovered before I pull - slowly. I've moved lots of lilies that way.

Deanna