Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie Question: falls leaves?

Posted by stacette 7b (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 7, 06 at 12:35

I planted tons of lilies early in the spring this will be their second year in the ground and late in the fall they started to grow some foliage out of the ground (not on old flower stems) and the cold weather took these leaves. Are they dead? Will they come back? Do I need to be patient? I have many that did not do this and they are visible and apparently very happy... I am hoping my martagons come up this year too they never grew at all last year. I assumed that the vole/mole got them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie Question: falls leaves?

It may be that what you are seeing are leaves thrown up by stem bulbils/bulblets - these quite often produce a few leaves their first autumn if conditions are favourable, sometimes whilst still attached to the parent stem. Provided they weren't frozen solid I doubt that they'll come to permanent harm.

Alternatively, if your growing season was quite long sometimes mature bulbs will send up a second stem - especially if a hot summer is followed by a long cool, moist autumn. This happens fairly regularly for me with martagons.

It also seems to be true that some western american lilies will produce a basal rosette of leaves come autumn, as though they are trying to imitate the madonna lily.

I wouldn't be too worried about losing leaves (or even the odd stem) to frost in this way unless it happens every year.

o
RE: Newbie Question: falls leaves?

The baby bulbs near the surface don't seem to be harmed by our zone 5 winters, when they are certainly frozen solid. The foliage dies, but then they grow again in the spring. I've always been amazed by the antifreeze that must be in lily bulbs.

Jeanne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here