Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shic_2006

calla lilies new shoots?

shic_2006
18 years ago

I bought some colorful calla lilies bulbs from WM. I put the three bulbs in a large pot with warm temperature. Now, 2 weeks later, I saw pure white thin shoots coming out. 2 of them are so thin and pale that they dry up in the air. I don't know if these are roots or shoots.

Comments (5)

• Jeanne_in_Idaho
    18 years ago

You might get answers on the right forum. I suppose the best would be Bulbs, since there is no separate forum for callas, which are Zantedeschia, not Lilium.

Jeanne

• anna_lisa
    18 years ago

Hi cally lily grow like grass and then the leave unfolds. Have you been watering it? If it is warm it might be dry it likes water but don't over do it. The cally bulbs grows roots at the top of the bulbs white one you see many of them Anna lisa

• shic_2006
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Anna,

I have one pink, one orange and one purple. I planted them deep - 3" as suggested in a large 12" pot. I now regret a bit because I think some of the corms are not that large. Maybe it costs too much energy to grow to the surface. That is why some look so thin and white. Anyway, one of them is definitely green and thick now.

For those very thin ones, they dried up. Is it because of the warm temperature 80F? I keep them in a warm place because I heard this speeds up the rooting and shooting. I am planning on moving them to a cooler 50 F environment. I was told that they like cool. Is my practice okay?

I was told that the usual mistake of these is that they look like shade-tolerant. Actually callas CANNOT tolerate shade in later development stages. That will harm the productivity of the plant. They needs lots of water and light. Correct me if I am wrong.

• anna_lisa
    18 years ago

Hi I grow mine in have shade and sun they do not like the sun all day. The roots come from the top of the bulbs if you just dust away the dirt you will see the white roots frist then the bulbs. I should take a picture of one this summer cause the roots come from the top of the bulbs and spread outwards they do take a lot of room in a pot so if you have 3 in a 12 in pot that should be ok. Depends also on the size of the bulbs yellow and white are quite big the pink and plum are smaller. Don't over water cause it could rot them just keep it humit. The idea of the pot is good cause you can move it around. This summer i will try some in full sun and see how they do. Did the leaves unfold the ones that dried up? Cause it not the size it could be something else. Anna lisa

• shic_2006
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Anna,

Oh yeah, many lovely shoots of leaves are up already. They are not open yet. Those larger/greener, some of these with pink/purple, have no dry ends at all. The two with dry-ends are still very thin and curling on the surface of the soil.

Also, I am told they do need a lot of light - long lighting time. They do not like burning desert-like sun. But they do like light.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living