Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WM sale of Oriental Lily bulbs -

Posted by jujujojo (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 7, 14 at 14:12

These are left over bulbs from last fall. They have been sitting in WM shelf for a long time and the bulbs have dried up. But they are selling at a much cheaper price.

Are these bulbs still viable?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WM sale of Oriental Lily bulbs -

No. Bulbs dug and marketed for fall planting must go through a winter chill to generate flowers the next blooming season and to reset their biological time clock. Also, since lily bulbs never really go dormant, only a deep rest, and since the bulbs are made up of scales that are really genetically modified leaves, chances are overwhelming the bulbs are extremely dehydrated and impossible to save. Always buy fresh, solid bulbs to avoid disappointment in the long run.

o

I have learned my lesson about even the clearance bulbs in the same season. I tended to buy them on clearance, and some would be OK, when you buy a pack of them. But if you are buying the ones that have 1-2 items for that particular plant, it might be down and out for the count already.

This is also OK if you have a plant guarantee and keep the receipt, but I'm sure that's where a lot of people lose out also. In the end, we spent a few dollars for clearance bulbs or packages but it's still a big loss when many of them don't grow.

o

They will be worthless. Not even worth cents. Lilies have to be stored at controlled conditions to make it over the winter. They are never truly dormant.

There ARE fresh ones going out; but I resist. I saw some at Walmart and Home Depot yesterday. Even those were dug last fall, and stored by the grower. I would only buy a lily in springtime from a reputable lily dealer, who knows how to store them for a long period of time. The price is no lower in the spring, and you are getting a compromised bulb.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here