Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Easter lily

Posted by meg_91 Colorado (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 23, 10 at 14:52

I was given an easter lily today, and it's beautiful! It's the first time I've ever had one to add to my indoor plant collection. There's just one problem - it looks like the soil has been soaked, and there are mites and fungus gnats in the soil. What kind of soil mix should I use to replace the dark, thick, rich stuff that it has right now, and what's the best way to get rid of the gnats and mites? I would really like to keep this gorgeous plant, so I'd like to take care of the problem as soon as possible.

Meg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Easter lily

Let the pot dry out - the gnats, etc. thrive on wet soils and will disappear as the soil dries. It's a lily, it has a bulb which stores all it needs... watering, overwatering not only encourages pests, it encourages bulb rot. The big box stores, grocery stores, etc. selling Easter lilies don't know lilies from lilacs and water (over water) everything the same.

After it blooms, plant it in your garden where you will have more success with it rather than as a houseplant. Let it go through its normal cycle of dying back, stem browning, etc., and it should reappear next season although not necessarily in time for Easter since it's been forced into bloom. It'll revert back to its normal growth and bloom times.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here