Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Why did I buy lily bulbs at this time of year?!

Technically I have enough lilies but that doesnÂt seem to stop me. Even now when I canÂt really plant them. I just came home with a bunch, now I have to figure out what to do: IÂve never bought any this early. I went through all the bags in the store and picked ones that have not sprouted yet, but are firm. For now I have them on the concrete floor of the attached garage, where they wonÂt freeze but will stay pretty cold.

I bought 2 bags of asiatics, Dolly Madison and Lollypop: and 2 bags of a very spotted salmon pink labeled a "Tiger Lily". I know the name "Tiger lily" gets applied to all sorts of things; so what kind of lily IS a bulb Tiger Lily? There is a small part of stem visible in the photo: looks Asiatic-like. Where do they fit in the Asiatic-oriental-trumpet bloom time spectrum?

And when should I plant these?! The garden is very soggy and my greiggi and kaufmannia tulips are just appearing. I'm zone 5 Chicago.

Comments (7)

• Nancy
    16 years ago

I have some pink & some orange "tiger lilies". The orange are lancifolium, but I think the pink is an asiatic type, very pretty & I think you did well. I'd plant them as soon as you can, although if the ground is that wet, probably better to wait til it dried a bit. I know fall is the best time to plant, but I've done it in spring. You will probably get blooms, but weak ones this year.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I googled "tiger lilies" but did not get much real info on them. The pictures (all from Dave's Garden) make me think these will have a bud branching pattern that is different from asiatics (don't know what this is called: longer stems, more loose and wider at the top): what I saw looked very pretty. I have a place in mind for them and am hoping this will work but need to know more about light requirements and bloom time. I have a place under some ash trees: morning sun, bright afternoon shade. Raised bed, very well-drained. Maybe I should make a new post asking for information specifically for these.

• Nancy
    16 years ago

I have mine in full sun & they do seem to do well, but most lilies seem to do well with some shade. You are right that they don't look quite like asiatics, but check this link I found
    http://www.marthastewart.com/lilium-pink-tiger
    Or this one, both suggest a bit of shade is ok. Well drained soil is best for most bulbs.
    http://home-solutions.hsn.com/spring-hill-15-bulb-imperial-tiger-lily-collection_p-3398595_xp.aspx

Here is a link that might be useful: Tiger lily

Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the picture links. Now IÂm really happy I got the tiger lilies, as I have nothing that looks like this. I still need to find out when they bloom relative to the other kinds. The sites I checked are pretty vague. IÂm guessing "related" to asiatics would mean before or after asiatics? The color would clash with (or be drowned out by) the hot pink of my orientals, so timing will affect placement.

We had snow again so it looks like I wonÂt be planting these any time soon. At the very least I have to wait until my tulips and daffodils all emerge since they are going in the same area. What temperature should I be trying to keep these at? The garage floor is about 45 degrees F. Basement floor is about 55 F.

• Nancy
    16 years ago

I was hoping someone else would add their experience in. I've been trying to remember just when mine bloomed last year, it does seem as if they bloomed a bit after the asiatics. I have so many lilies though & I've not been particularly concerned about timing so I just can't be sure. I'm thinking the garage floor might be a better temp to keep them from sprouting before you want them to. Won't hurt them a great deal if they do sprout a bit before you plant them, I've bought them clearanced out when they've been sprouted several inches & gotten blooms. Really mishapen stems though :)
    Good Luck!

Original Author
    16 years ago

How well I know the temptations of a clearanceÂ

Last spring I bought a LOT of lilies (like, oh, 50+ ! IÂm insane) clearanced from my favorite hardware store at like 75% off. Must have been May, awfully late. Most were asiatics, one oriental. They were in blister packs so I could see and eliminate the obviously dried up and over-sprouted. But I couldnÂt feel them.

When I came to plant them I realized that some whole packs were probably duds. I gave the OK ones decent spots and they grew and leafed maybe to 6 inches, tops. No flowers to speak of. A few of the stunted midgets tried and I cut the flowers off early in pity, to save their strength, telling them, "Roots, sweetheart, make roots and grow up first".
    IÂm expecting more from them this year. The possible duds I put in a sheltered holding bed. I saw no above ground growth at all from them. IÂm saying this to warn others who might read my post! If even half survived I still got a great deal. I wish I didnÂt feel sorry for neglected bulbs or plants!

The risks of excessive pity (or of being a bargain hunterÂ)

• ralfsmom
    16 years ago

put the bulbs in the frig where you keep your lettuce. they will be fine there until you can plant them .they may be a little late blooming this but that's ok. delores

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County