Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19773911

Where can Easter lily bulbs be purchased?

User
15 years ago

Hi folks,

I know that this question has probably been answered before, but here goes:

Where can Easter lily bulbs be purchased?

I don't want LA hybrids, just plain old "every Easter" white Easter lily bulbs. I would like to buy the bulbs, not the flowering plants, if possible.

thanks,

Avalon

Comments (11)

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    15 years ago

At this time of year you will not find them. ItÂs too close to Easter. Leftover stock that was dug last fall has been resold to growers. Better to buy a plant after Easter when they go on sale, enjoy it while it blooms, then take it outside and plant it. Next year you will have lilies though they will bloom at their normal time, not forced to do it early. I have a nice little cluster growing in the garden where I have done this for the last few years.

I buy a lot of leftover lilies! Asiatics too this way.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

Easter lilies are Lilium longiflorum. You should be able to locate them through better bulb suppliers or lily specialty nurseries - Brent and Becky's carries them. I agree that you are unlikely to find them available now, although it's possible......many retail nurseries in my area offer a very wide selection of summer flowering bulbs including lilies, both species and hybrids. But selection, especially through mail order, will be biggest in the fall.

Linnea's idea is a good one......that's how I've accumulated my collection of Easter lilies. Buy up the leftover plants after Easter when they clearance them, then plant them outside. You'll get them for a song and they will bloom on schedule (not Easter!! midJune in my area) the following season.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks! where do you get your Easter lily "leftovers"?

15 years ago

Any of the big box stores that sell potted blooming bulbs for Easter or spring will have them. I always get them at Walmart (itÂs nearby) but Home Depot, LoweÂs, MenardÂs etc., should have them too. If thereÂs a Walmart near you maybe check first to see if they have a garden section. Sometimes it takes them a few days after Easter to mark them down (you can tell IÂve done this a lot!). If they have a lot they may clearance them more, it depends on how long you want to wait. I paid $1 last year! I look at it as a treasure hunt.

Since I am really buying for the bulb I look for a very sturdy strong stem rather than lots of unopened flowers. Keep in mind that Easter lilies will be much taller in your garden than they are in the pot.

You may not be looking for asiatics, but someone else may, so IÂll mention this. All these stores also offer, both in spring and summer, potted blooming Asiatics. Many of these will be dwarf or shorter kinds which are hard to find as a bulb. Since I want (need) short ones to have a variety of heights in the garden, I get these too when they go on clearance after blooming. There is a chance they are treated chemically to make them short, but so far I have been lucky and all turned out to be genuinely short (like 18 inches to 2 feet). Those also bloom earlier than most asiatics thus extending bloom season. Some of my favorites in my garden were obtained this way.

Good luck! Come back and tell us what you find!

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Linnea56
    You can bet that I'm going to Walmart, Lowes and HD for leftovers after Easter!

• jitterbug4756
    15 years ago

Check your local grocery stores also for potted easter lilys. I got one 2 easters ago at the Piggly wiggly that had spent all but one bloom. It had 2 nice blooms stems on it & they marked it down to 75 cent. I grabbed it, came home planted it and last year had some nice blooms on it, but way after Easter and this year there is already bout 7 plantlettes coming up.

• woodthrush
    15 years ago

Check those street corner flower tents next week also. Last year, I passed one place that just had all the extras piled in a heap behind the tent.
    Pam

15 years ago

Avalon, have you gotten yours yet? I saw them at Lowe's for a $1 a pot and thought of you!

• threedogsmom
    15 years ago

I just bought 10 pots at $1 apiece @ Lowe's. It always feels good to score a good deal on plants !! I checked a few other places first, right after easter, and no one had any. Then today at lunch I saw the Lowes clearance cart, and had to snap them up.

• bluntsinhowey_aol_com
    12 years ago

Now that Easter has passed where can I purchase/buy Easter Lily bulbs?

• maxmom96
    12 years ago

One of the best places to get Easter lily plants after blooming is at a church. Many, ours included, use the lilies as part of their Easter service, and then throw them away when they look bedraggled. That's what ours does, and for some reason, no one wants them then and they're thrown out. It may be a bit late for this year, but you may want to ask around and see which churchs do this. They may be pleased to have them taken off their hands (or you watch their garbage!) All of my Easter lilies have come from my church and have done quite well.