Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when to plant?

Posted by veryzer 5a (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 14, 09 at 21:01

I live in N. Illinois and am wondering when I can plant some oriental lilies without risking frost damage. I guess the basic question is how long does it take for the bulb to sprout? Around here we live by the (conservative) rule of thumb that anything above the ground can succumb before Mother's Day. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when to plant?

We're even farther behind with Memorial Day being "safe". I've always planted lily bulbs in the fall since my biggest fear would be spring planted lily bulbs might produce shoots, but might not bloom until the following season.

But I can't attest to this being true.

Planted 6 or so inches deep once the soil is workable should prevent any weather related sprout damage.

o

I was going to ask this question also. I bought a pack of Oriental lily bulbs at Costco and was wondering when to plant them. I've always planted them in the fall, also.

o

I'm zone 6 & just bought some bulbs. I'll plant as soon as I can, it will probably be a couple of weeks at least before they start showing above ground & by then we probably won't have a hard frost. I've found they can take light frosts fine. I always buy lilies any time I find new-to-me varieties locally. Normally I will get weak blooms the first summer, a little later than my other lilies. Probably good advice would be to cut off the bud this summer so more energy will go into the bulb, but I just can't do it.

o

Thanks for the replies. I did plant some Legend orientals last spring and they came up about 1' and that's it. I hope that means I get big blooms this year. I planted my Marco Polos about six weeks earlier this year, so we'll see if that makes a difference, but I expect ngraham's results: stunted plants and small blooms.

o

Last frost date only applies to cold sensitive plants (tender perennials) and annuals. Like other hardy bulbs, lilies emerging now will easily withstand cold weather and frosts. Because lilies are summer (rather than spring) blooming bulbs, they can be planted in spring for for this summer's flowering, especially if the bulbs are decently sized. Many times, Costco and other discounters/home improvement stores offer inexpensive, undersized bulbs that need additional time to develop into good flowering size. Mail order lily specialty nurseries will offer better sized bulbs that should produce the same season - you get what you pay for :-) You can plant out as soon as your soil is workable - no longer frozen and not overly saturated.

FWIW, without exception all my lilies have been spring planted as that is when my local vendors (B&D, The Lily Pad) have the biggest and best selection. None have failed to bloom well that first season.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here