Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting lily house plant that has already blossomed

Posted by jneodawn CA (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 21, 08 at 21:29

I seem to be finding tons of good info on lilies on the net except for what I actually need to know. I recieved a beautiful pot of live lilies for Valentines Day, which have blossomed beautifully and have all dropped off since. So now I just have stems & leaves. I want to, not necessarily transplant them, but transport them in the same pot they're in (or different pots), to the outside now that it's spring. I don't want them to die! I believe they are some type of Orienpet. Instruction and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting lily house plant that has already blossomed

You can do so any time you like. If you want to keep growing them in a container, I'd suggest potting them up to a larger size now and with a good quality potting soil. Allow the remaining stems to brown and dry thoroughly before removing them - once they have reached the proper state, they tend to fall off anyway. Keep the container just barely moist to the touch - do not overwater nor allow the soil to dry out completely. You can also plant them in the ground at this time if you prefer, in an area that has very good drainage and is not overly irrigated through the summer. They won't do anything else this season but they should bloom for you next year, although at their normal bloom time, not Valentine's Day :-))

o
RE: Transplanting lily house plant that has already blossomed

Thank you garden gal, that's exactly what I needed to know. It's ok w/ me if they don't blossom again on or around V day. As long as I atleast get to see them again, then any season is alright with me. Thanx again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here