Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Belladonna has NEVER bloomed

Posted by minflick z16/9b CA (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 18, 08 at 23:14

I got some Naked Lady bulbs several years ago at a show. The bulbs have doubled or more in size since then, and I get nice leafage every year, but I have yet to get a single bloom, or even the stalk for the bloom. The pot (gophers) used to sit out in the yard, getting rain with everything else, and water once the rain stopped. Then, somebody told me I had watered them too much and that's why no bloom. That made sense to me, because they bloom like crazy where I used to live, out by the road with no irrigation at all. Can anybody think of any other reason for these silly things to not bloom? They're going in the dumpster next fall if I have no action again this year.

How much water is enough? How much is too much? Do I let the soil dry between waterings? How long do I leave it dry?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Belladonna has NEVER bloomed

Sorry to hear this---these plants are so awsome when they bloom! I have one large clump of them growing, believe it or not, at the base of a Black Walnut tree---it gets no care at all and blooms like crazy every summer. Could that be the clue on them--ignore them and they do better? If you decide to get rid of them, I'd gladly take them off your hands---have a grass garden they'd work really well tucked in a nice secluded corner.

o

They were all over our old neighborhood, which is why I wanted them in the first place. (Aside from realizing that I'd posted this in the wrong forum, but I don't know how to delete it). It occurred to me, after digging around for growing instructions, that I've got them too deep in the dirt. Several sites said to plant them as shallow as amaryllis, which I didn't. So, in addition to re-potting them in a larger pot, with nice new rich soil, I'll be putting them shallower in the dirt, in the fervent hopes that THIS year, I'll get flowers.

o

Minflick: I am no expert but I read that these bulbs are picky about being moved and may take several seasons to bloom after being disturbed or moved. I bought some about 2 years ago and they did nothing the first year and have only recently put out foilage. I am just waiting patiently for them to do their thing. They are in a pot now until a permanent location is selected. Hope this helps!

-Frank

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here