Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vajeff

Is it safe to transplant these?

vajeff
12 years ago

This past fall I transplanted some unknown lily bulbs (I think they're easter lilies) to a temporary raised bed rather than store them indoors over winter and risk them drying out. I moved them because they had grown so many baby bulblets along their stems that were nearly a quarter the original bulbs' size and were exposed at the soil surface... and they were in a bad spot anyway (you could hardly see them!).

The bulblets were potted up and the giant bulbs placed in the raised beds. Strangely enough, I must have done something to trigger them to grow as the larger bulbs started peeking out of the ground in December and now they're about 2-3 inches tall. The potted ones are even taller, having been kept in a hoop house over winter.

And so, my question is this: is it safe to transplant the larger bulbs to their final destination? I'm afraid I'll disturb any roots growing along the stems and cause them to either terminate the current growth or not bloom at all this year.

While I'm asking and instead of starting a new topic... When is a good time to transplant potted up oriental and asiatic bulbs? I've several Stargazers and Tango's I'd like to relocate to their final spots. The asiatics are peeking through and nothing yet from the orientals.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!