Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dogs and Lilies....

Posted by Mrs.X none (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 0:55

So I came home today from buying a new car, and found that my little chihuahua mix had been chewing on my Lily Commander-in-Chief. I took a closer look and found that he had completely taken off the buds that were growing from it. I had just planted it recently so it is still fairly new, hasn't even had its first flower yet, so I was wondering if I keep watering it and feeding it if the buds will eventually grow back soon, if at all, or is it going to take an entire year for them to reform?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dogs and Lilies....

Once the buds are broken off, the plant is done for that year, no bloom til next year. I know it feels bad not to see blooms this year, but since it is a new spring planted flower, & it can now concentrate on building up the bulb, you may have really nice flower next year. I know, it really doesn't make you feel any better though, does it? I lost flowers on almost every lily in my garden a couple of years ago when we had a late hard frost. lilies were just barely up, but they were up enough the buds were frozen. The year before apparently deer or rabbits ate the tips off several lilies, the only year I've had that happen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here