Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Height of Mona Lisa oriental lily

I picked out some oriental lilies today. I had picked out Mona Lisa: the package said it would be 18" tall. I could really use something short so decided to buy a larger package. There were smaller packages of 4 bulbs and larger packages of 10 for a few varieties. But the Mona Lisa in the larger package said it grew to be 40" tall! Which is correct? I bought the smaller package but if they really are short I may go back for more.

Comments (7)

• hld6
    15 years ago

If they are Mona Lisa they should be much smaller than 40".

-Helen

• Nancy
    15 years ago

I agree with Helen, much shorter than 40", but I feel they are a bit taller than 18". Never measured but I'm thinking closer to 24".

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks! Even 24" would be a good height to have.

I was sure someone on here was growing Mona Lisa and had recommended it as being both a good pink and short. But I searched last night and came up with nothing: I think the search function was not working right.

I bought a pink potted asiatic lily last year that was a wonderful clear light pink; hardly any spots. Unfortunately it was not labeled, not I donÂt know if it was really short by nature or not. I put it in the front of the garden and decided I do need some short pink lilies there, as I expect this year the potted one will not be short. Asiatic or oriental doesnÂt matter: it would be great to have some of each. I want it/them for in front of a Sunny Border Blue Veronica.

• hld6
    15 years ago

Van Engelen has it listed as a miniature oriental lily and gives a height of 2'. That makes it significantly taller than the pixie asiatics, but real short for an oriental. My mother also has Mona Lisa and its about that size.

There are a number of short asiatics so you might get lucky with your plant, but in general potted plant height is NOT a reliable indicator for established plant height. Commercial growers retard the growth (especially with orientals which are normally quite tall) so they will ship more safely and are more "marketable" as a potted plant. But plant them in your garden and the next year you'll see a big change in both height and bloom time.

-Helen

Original Author
    15 years ago

The pink potted one I bought last year was a great color so if it turns out to be tall, I will just move it later. I normally donÂt buy potted lilies, but I just had to have this one. Wish it had a name.

If you donÂt mindÂ
    How would you describe the color of Mona Lisa? A clear true pink, or leaning toward peach or lavender? It will affect placement. The online pictures look like a true pink.

I must be on a pink kick. I have a lot of blue perennials so something to offset those is valuable. Odd because outside of gardening, I have/use no pink whatsoever.

• hld6
    15 years ago

It depends on what you mean by lavender. I don't believe lilies have any blue genetics, so consequently, shouldn't have any true lavenders. But I constantly see lilies being referred to as purple or purplish. When I look at these lilies the "purple" looks dark pink to me and the "lavender" look more like a cool pale pink with some reflective sheen. The pinkness of these lilies is especially evident if you compare them to flowers with true blue genetics. For example my lilacs are in bloom now. And my "Midnight" trumpet lily is no where near that kind of blue/purple color. Ditto when compared to my Iris.

Yet the lily register has within the description of Mona Lisa

"edged ivory white and changing to light to pale purplish pink (62C/D), with lilac purple blush"

So, if anything, you can rule out "peach" since it is on the cool side of pink.

-Helen

Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks! It had not occurred to me that lilies do not have any blue genetics. Of course color names are so relative to begin with (not to even mention all the lavender flowers that are called "blue"!) Cool or warm may be the best way to describe these subtleties. I already have several peachy pink lilies like Aphrodite so will opt to place the cooler pink in a different area.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!