Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lilies hit by a freeze

Posted by booberry85 z5NY (becky@leadtesting.net) on
Wed, Apr 18, 12 at 8:14

Crud! I got excited with the warmer weather and planted some lilies over the weekend. When I checked the weather before planting, the night time temps weren't suppose to get below 40 any day this week. Last night we had a freeze warning. I did cover them, but it wasn't enough. You could see the damage when I took the covers off this morning. The temp had dropped to 32 during the night. I'm sure the bulbs will be ok, but no flowers this year. I'm bummed.

Not really looking for advice. I just wanted to whine and look for some sympathy & empathy. After years of vegetable gardening, I started beefing up my perennial flower beds last year. I just started getting into lilies last year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lilies hit by a freeze

I am surprised you are seeing damage - lily shoots are quite able to withstand a light frost. It hit 27F here last week and my lilies are up about a foot. No damage. How much growth did they have on them? If they were already sprouted bulbs that had been held for sale indoors, then that abrupt transition to outdoors and freezing temperatures may have been the issue. FWIW, I always bury a significant portion of the sprout - it won't hurt to be deep in the soil and it does provide some additional protection.

o

"If they were already sprouted bulbs that had been held for sale indoors." Unfortunately this was the case. I did bring in the ones I hadn't planted yet, so those I'll bury a little deeper when I get to planting them. I'm nervous about planting anything else out this early now. Our weather seems to be riding a roller coaster. Monday it hit 90, an all time high.

o

There is a difference between various lilies how sensitive they are to the freezing. The trumpet lilies are the worst. Martagons and asiatics can take more.

o

Thanks Wieslaw. That's exactly what I found out the hard way. The Asiatics seem to have bounced back, but the trumpet lilies are still droopy (but not dead!)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here