Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
surpise lilies from trade

Posted by dkline_2008 MI 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 7, 08 at 9:04

I have a question. I am in zone 5 and I traded for some surpise lilies from someone in a warmer zone. The stems have now turned yellow and it looks like they are dying. By the way, I planted them in pots in the house for now. Is it alright to plant them outside now, even though it may frost yet? I have never had these but they are beautiful. Also, I think I read somewhere that these are hardy in my zone 5. Is that correct? Thank you in advance for you help.
Deb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: surpise lilies from trade

If you're referring to lycoris radiata (red spider lilies), it's the time of year that they die back. Go ahead and put them in the ground. They will be a lovely surprise in September when the days get shorter. They sometimes sulk when they're moved. If so, you'll have to wait through another cycle of winter green, summer rest and fall bloom.
Nell

o
RE: surpise lilies from trade....

Thank you so much for responding. I kind of thought it was time for them to die back but wasnt real sure.
Thanks,
Deb

o
RE: surpise lilies from trade

Deb,

If they are Radiata, then they are not hardy in your area, so you would maybe not want to plant them, but instead grow them in a pot, and then bring them into a protected area each winter.

Do you maybe know what variety they are. There are several Lycoris, and some are much hardier than others.

I have the Lycoris Squamigera. The strap like foliage is still emerging. They, like other Lycoris, will sulk for a season or two if moved or disturbed. You may likely not see blooms this season, regardless of which ones you might have.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Surprise Lily, Magic Lily, Naked Lady

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here