Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Store bought Easter lily. . .

Posted by babera 5a (Montana) (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 10:00

Good Morning. . . I bought an Easter Lily (no tag) from the grocery store and was wondering if I can plant it in the ground when it is done flowering. . . the fragrance is intoxicating, I'm always so excited to buy them this time of year. . . would love to have them in the garden as well. . .
thanks in advance. . .

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Store bought Easter lily. . .

I would think you could plant it now if you wished too. They are usually in pots much too small and could do with a bit of foot room. Or, put them into a larger pot and then bury the pot so you can lift them up in the winter season later. Lillies really don't tend to be very pickt but you get larger plants and more blooms if you feed regularly.

o

I recommend to plant a few together, so if you have time, see if those same stores are now selling them on clearance (or give a little more time for the flowers to drop off and make the plant look like a clearance plant). Plant them together at that time.

If not, then just what you have should be fine to plant now, or after the bloom is off.

o

make sure they get a lot of sunlight, and keep them away from your other lily. lily virus is prevalent in easter lily from big stores. it may or may not survive since it was forced to bloom early.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here