Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
companion plants for Stargazer lilies

Posted by janiebird 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 7, 08 at 10:41

Does anyone have suggestions about companion plants? I have about 18 Stargazers in the ground around a newly planted Jane Magnolia and I want something that sort of covers the stems once the lilies fade...any ideas? The spot is morning to noon sun, sheltered and I am in zone 7 Maryland.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: companion plants for Stargazer lilies

Dahlia, Peonies, Echinacea, some roses are tall enough and have lush foliage to cover fading Lilies. Dahlia are not hardy in our zone and need to be lifted for the winter. Some small shrubs would work also.

o
RE: companion plants for Stargazer lilies

I have Nepeta (catmint) Walker's Low around mine. The rich blue flowers go well with the lilies; plus the Nepeta keeps blooming long after the lilies are done. FWIW, the name "low" does not describe it's size, mine gets to be maybe 2 feet by late summer. But there are shorter catmints. It has a fluffy airy look that hides stems well. I have hyacincths planted around mine and once the catmint gets going you'd never know there was bulb foliage in there. Veronica also has a good blue color that goes well with lilies, but the "feet" of Veronica are not always nice to look at. But then I have pink hardy geranium at the feet of those, so you'd never know it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here