Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting Asiatic Lilies

Posted by jennyzone5 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 11:00

I've sold my house and will be moving in a few weeks. My buyer has only seen the place when it was too cold for any of my perennials to start coming back. I'm not going to go crazy and start digging everything up, but every Spring since I've been here I added to my Asiatic lilies and I'd like to take at least some of them with me. Several varieties were needing to be divided anyways. Some of them are just now starting to peek out of the beds but most are still dormant from what I can tell. What is the best way for me to transplant them while doing as little damage as possible? Should I do it now while they have little to no growth or wait until they are all coming out of the ground?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting Asiatic Lilies

Since you know kind of where they are, including the ones that are peeking out, it's OK to get to them now. Just be careful digging as you now have not only the bulbs to be careful about, but also any growth that is still underground that can't be seen.

After doing that, I would mulch the area. That will hide the digging and also make the new owner think he got some nice mulched area also. You can leave him some surprises, though...maybe some inexpensive seeds of some annual or perennial plant to make up for taking the lilies.

To me, it's always fun to see what plants come up at a new house. Who knows, we might see your new owner coming here to help identify some plants.

o
RE: Transplanting Asiatic Lilies

I have transplanted many lily around this time of year, most of the time turned out well. some hints i'd recommend are to make sure you dig wider and deeper than you expect. my asiatic's are prolific so whenever they had to be moved, it was easy to leave some behind for the new owners.

i also love finding out what plants are at a new place. i've found a lot of treasures

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here