Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dug Up Crowded Bulbs In Pot

Posted by parad0x Z7 Philadelphia (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 3, 08 at 11:26

I had planted 3 'Touching' lily bulbs in a small pot 2 years ago. They bloomed then, and again last year...but were severely overcrowded by their baby bulbs. Just to gain some experience and try it...I emptied out the pot and began pulling off the potting soil, and as gently as I could tried to pry apart the baby bulbs from the larger ones. How durable are they at this point? I tried to be careful, but I know I ripped off some scales etc.

Also, what should I do w/the bulbs now that I've dug them up? I threw em in a pot of old dried out potting soil/dry almost finished compost to keep em dormant, or so was my idea, until I have the time, and find a place where I can plant them in the ground.

Thanks!
Todd In Philly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dug Up Crowded Bulbs In Pot

Todd,
Lilies never go completely dormant. Your old soil will preserve them a little bit, but at this time of the year I would plant them ASAP. If your bulbs are severely damaged after dividing, dust wounds with some antifungal powder. You can find it in any garden center.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here