Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lilies for Gulf Coast

Posted by jockewing 9a (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 11:52

I live in S. Louisiana, about 20 miles north of New Orleans, and am curious about which types of true lilies will thrive here.

I have a Phillipine/Formosa lily that comes back every year and also a patch of Easter lily that comes back every year. I would really like to try some of the oriental types like Stargazer and especially I am intrigued by Black Beauty.

Can I grow Black Beauty here? Or are there other 'nodding' or showy varieties I can grow here? I remember my grandmother had some lilies in her garden that came back each year, but I can't remember what they were and unfortnuately she is no longer here to ask.

Some of the information I've read says we are too far south here, but others say it is possible. I read an article in Southern Living where it stated a woman amended her soil with Gran-I-Grit (chicken grit chips) to get perfect drainage. Also I wonder how being this far south changes the rules as to planting depth.

Seems like most people down here grow the standard evergreen shrubs like Indian Hawthorn, azaleas, etc. A lot of people plant tropicals like hibiscus and bananas. Then they fill in with the standard array of annuals -- begonias, vincas, impatiens, etc. I am really interested in doing something different and would love to do an English style perennial border something like Martha Stewart had at her first house in Connecticut. Trying to find out how to translate that type of garden to the Deep South. I am hoping to find some lilies that I can plant to start to build a perennial bed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lilies for Gulf Coast

If I were you, I would buy 1 or 2 and give it a try.

o

I'm in north LA and I have great luck with the LA hybrids. This is longiflorium asiatic cross and does well in the heat. Just make sure you have good drainage. The think stout stems and bold leaves are almost the best thing about them. Mine are beginning to bloom now.

o

Well I bought 3 Black Beauty (orienpet hybrid) and they are already sprouting. I planted them in my best bed that has loose soil and perfect drainage. I even worked in some extra sand and ground pine bark and planted them about 4 inches deep. This bed gets morning sun and then shifting, filtered light with alternating periods of sun and shade and the sun moves across the different trees in the front yard.

Hopefully I will have success with them. I have read differening opinions, but have found some anecdotal evidence that they perform in the South if planted in the right conditions.

o

Plant amaryllids, like crinums. They are far more geared to that environment and many rebloom several times.

o

I live in Port Arthur Texas, about the same distance from the Gulf coast and I and my neighbors grow all kinds of lilly bulbs and daylilies and many other bulbs. . We trade with each other all the time. They grow great and can stay in the ground all year. Pat

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here