Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cutting Back Oriental Lilies

Posted by dirtyoldman z7B AL (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 4, 06 at 12:18

Is it OK to cut back Oriental lilies, such as Stargazer, when their stems and leaves turn yellow in fall? Or do I have to wait until they turn brown? Does it make a difference?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cutting Back Oriental Lilies

Keep them growing for as long as you can while they are green. Once most of the leaves and stem start to turn yellow, it is ok to cut it back.

o

I agree with the first poster. Also feed the lily once the flowering is done. Foliage feed or give some bulb food after flowering. It may be only my soil but without the fertilizing I don't get as big of blooms the following year as I do when I fertilize. Early spring when they first poke up give another helping of the bulb food.
I leave a short section of the stem up so I can find the lily the next spring to apply the fertilizer.

o

I cut back the stem by 1/3 and let the remaining 2/3's die back. Sometimes I leave the dead stem in the ground all winter...it helps me remember to not plant there in the Spring!

Last year I tried an experiment and planted thunbergia nearby...the vine used the lily stalks as a trellis and climbed up to the top.

Ciao,
OITGAD

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here