Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elleni_gw

Lily Grab Bag - Take your chances on a deal?

elleni
13 years ago

Well, I can't pass up a deal and went for it after reading this deal at FatWallet. There are two steps to the deal-- read the FatWallet link details. No telling what varieties you'll get. I know Breck's is not the best bulb supplier around, but I've had a good experience with them in the past.

Here is a link that might be useful: Breck's Lily Bulbs Grab Bag $200 (40 bulbs) worth for ~$35 shipped.

Comments (10)

• alina_1
    13 years ago

Breck's usually sends a decent first order and trash after that. I would never deal with them.
    Go to your local Walmart. You will get a better deal there.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

Ouch, I'd never spend my money on Breck's or Wal*Mart (for plants)

• alina_1
    13 years ago

Me neither, but Walmart would be better because you can see the quality of the bulbs you buy. It is a gamble to get something true to names there of course...

• billums_ms_7b
    13 years ago

Definitely not worth it!

Try something like this from their sister company, Van Engelen, instead:

Asiatic Lily Naturalizing Mix - 100 bulbs for $29.75

30 Cents a bulb beats the heck out of four dollars a bulb!

They don't start taking orders for fall shipment until the middle of this month, though.

No, I'm not associated with this company in any way... I just like a HUGE bargain.

If you are new to lilies, Asiatics are not only incredibly inexpensive, they are *much* less fussy and multiply like crazy over time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Asiatic Lily Naturalizing Mix at Van Engelen

• vlygrl
    13 years ago

Van Engelen isn't affiliated with Brecks. You must be thinking of Scheepers, which is owned by the same company as Van Engelen.

Anyway, they don't sell any lilies or any other bulbs in the spring, only fall.

Elleni, I ordered bulbs a few years ago from Brecks, Brent and Beckys, Blooming Bulb and Bluestone Perennials. The bulbs from Brecks were far better than the ones I got from any of the other sellers that year. All of those other sellers have good reviews at Garden Watchdog, two of them pretty much rave reviews. But the two with the rave reviews sent the sorriest bulbs of all.

GW can be very helpful in deciding where to order but it's not infallible.

• elleni
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have ordered from Brecks in the past and been pleased with my purchases. The Van Engelen mix sounds like a good deal as well.

• elleni
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I got my box of bulbs today! Back over at FatWallet, it sounds like everyone else so far has gotten the same as me:

6 satisfaction trees*
    6 purple prince trees
    6 lavon trees*
    6 garden pleasure trees
    6 sweetheart doubles*
    10 eyeliners

Not a bad deal for $35 shipped. I will probably trade off most of the starred (*) ones, only keeping two of each. I am looking forward to seeing the "garden pleasure" blooms! Someone posted a mash-up of the advertised photos, link below.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• alina_1
    13 years ago

Good luck with your order!
    Orienpets are nice Lilies. Very strong growers in my zone. Having Trumpets in their parentage, they might not be hardy enough for your area though. Will need some winter protection. They have nothing to do with "trees" of course.

Do not expect your lilies to look like these pictures - these photos are badly photoshopped. I got rid of my Satisfaction. It was pale muddy red, not even close to the photo.

• elleni
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I found real pics of most on Dave's Garden. I am thinking the lavon and garden pleasure will work well together. I am hoping the purple prince and satisfaction will also compliment each other. Not sure about the sweetheart doubles-- I couldn't find any other pictures.

• elleni
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have been very liberal in my planning for the grab bag of lilies I got and still expect to have extras. I have posted some of them for trade over in the exchange forum, if anyone is interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: HAVE: Lily Bulbs: 'Satisfaction', 'Purple Prince', 'Sweetheart'

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz