Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
splitting lillies

Posted by gemdan UK (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 12:38

I gave looked at previously info but that info was for USA, but I would like some info for uk

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: splitting lillies

What is the question @gemdan? - if it's just a case of splitting, that's easy. Wait until November, or when they have gone completely dormant at back end. Then, dig down as deep as you can with a fork, assuming your bulbs are six inches down, a good fork will go lower than this, and go at it like you are lifting potatoes. Once you've done that, get them all lined up, split any bulbs with two stems, simply by pulling gently apart, sort bulblets that are big enoug to plant with the main group and put those with the bigger bulbs. The smaller ones, one and two year old bulblets, put to one side to place in a nursery bed or give away if there are too many. Then, dig over the patch where they are going back to, plenty of organic matter, then replant at whatever spacing you choose. If they are longiflorum asiatics, those seem to spread like mad so give them more room.

o
RE: splitting lillies

good advice! i will split them in the spring if i am forced to

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here