Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to Plant - Bulbs are Sprouting

Posted by junco1102 5b (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 20, 12 at 14:22

I don't have a lot of experience with lilies -- I have added a few varieties over the past year or two, but haven't really researched them like I should.

I purchased a dozen Asiatic lily bulbs at a Flower and Garden Show a few weeks ago. I was holding off planting them because the temperatures have been fluctuating up and down and I thought it was better to wait until the likelihood of a hard freeze was past. I looked in the sack yesterday and discovered that the bulbs are sprouting. Should I get them in the ground. What should I do about the sprout - leave it on, cut it off?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to Plant - Bulbs are Sprouting

You can plant Lilies any time if the ground is not frozen - the sooner the better. Lilies' bulbs never go dormant like other bulbs, so they will get dehydrated if you store them for a long time. Leave the sprouts on - they are the only this year growth for your Lilies. If the sprouts are less than 4", they will be completely covered with dirt.

For more details see lilies.org.

Good luck!

o

Put them about 6" deep. It is harder when they have sprouted but that often seems to be the case. I try to hold the little leaves on the sprouts altogether when I put the dirt around them but don't know if it really helps. When you buy bulbs next winter store them somewhere cool-like a fruit cellar or the fridge until you are ready to plant them. Then they might have a better chance of not sprouting so soon.
The natural time to plant and move lilies is in the fall. So when you buy bulbs in the winter they have often been precooled. The minute they hit warmth they start to grow. If you ever buy any at a department store get them as soon as they come in and take them home to put in your fridge.
Good Luck!

o

Oops! is my immediate reaction after finding this thread.

I'm another lily newbie who bought lily bulbs from a store in May on a whim, not doing any sort of research before hand. But, now I've got 'em, so I'll do my best to keep them alive.

I have two Tiger Lily bulbs, with about four inches of green coming out of both (didn't notice they had sprouted). I will plant them tomorrow. What else should I do to make sure they survive?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here