Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
littlehippygirl

'sick' peace lily

littlehippygirl
18 years ago

Hi, I am pretty new to plants and this forum and I need some help. I've had my peace lily for almost a year and its been doing very poorly in the last several months. Almost every single leaf tip is blackened, even the unfurled baby leaves, and some are yellowing around the edges. Some of the older leaves have a yellowish tinge and have green veins visible (nutrition deficiency?)Over all the plant just looks sickly and I'm trying to make it better.

When I first got it, the plant was in a 4" pot that looked too small, so after about a month I transplanted it into a new 6" pot with some dirt that my grandma "made". She's not that great of a gardener but thinks she is. THats how she is with most things, and for some reason she dislikes me. About 4 months after that, it started to go downhill. I recently found out I shouldn't be giving plants softened water because it takes the minerals out. I'm sure this contributes to my plant's health. I've been using the spigot outside and letting the chlorine evaporate from the jug for 24 hours before I water now for about 1 month.

I never saw any roots at the bottom of the pot, but I decided to repot it just incase. I took it out, brushed off the dirt, and I couldn't believe it. There was a 4" pot-shaped ball of roots completely compacted together! What happened??? I have a feeling it did not like the new dirt my grandma made at all and refused to grow in it. There were also tiny tiny clear worms in the dirt..I don't know if they are bad or not. Could they be gnat larvea? Gnats always seemed to hang out around that plant no matter what. I didn't think they really harmed anything so I set a bowl out do drown them and them fed them to my fish lol. Anyways...I repotted the plant in an 8" pot with store bought potting soil this time.

Please help me understand what happened/is happening. Will it recover? What can I do to help it along?

Thank you in advance.