Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Silk Road

newyorkrita
14 years ago

I just ordered 4 of these bulbs from White Flower Farms in spite of the fact that they were $12.95 apiece. Outch. It said they are an Orientpet. Well, I flipped over the picture and description and could not resist.

I hve never had orientpets before as prior to this year I have stuck with Asiatics and Oriental lillies. Decided to branch out this year.

Anyone grow Silk Road? What do you think about Orientpets in general? Thanks.

Comments (13)

• alina_1
    14 years ago

Rita, it is me again. Did you use some kind of coupon for your purchase at White Flower Farm? That is a very high price! 'Silk Road' costs $10 at the Lily Garden (the author of this hybrid). This is a wonderful Lily! You will not be dissapointed.
    Orienpets are my favorite Lily division. Extremely strong growers. Thick stems, never need staking. Good substance of petals. Here are some of them in my garden:

'Honeymoon' and 'Altari'

'Shocking'

{{gwi:251599}}

'Zagora'

{{gwi:251598}}

'Orania'

{{gwi:251600}}

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, its a very high price. I actually saw the SILK ROAD at White Flower Farm afew days ago and passed them up because of the price. But I could not get them out of my mind. Knew just where I wanted to plant them. So I broke down . I had looked at B&D lillies but they did not have it. I honestly don't know that many places to buy lilly bulbs, unlike places to buy daylilies. I know of hundreds of places to buy those. Ok, maybe not hundreds but it seems like it.

Anyway its done and I do really want it so my only gripe is about the price.

• alina_1
    14 years ago

I absolutely agree. I always look for a bargain, but if I really want some plant, I would buy it at a high price. In fact, I might pay for my greediness: the only bulb of SR I bought from Park's last year is not showing up. It seems that 'Silk Road' is a slow increaser, so it might be a good idea for you to separate some scales before planting bulbs in your garden. Propagation by scaling is very easy with Lilies.
    I also ordered a new variety 'Frisco' which looks very similar to 'Silk Road'.

• alina_1
    14 years ago

Rita, have you seen the Lily Garden's picture of the SR? Scroll down to see it. It will give you some idea how much space you will have to devote to this Lily - it grows really tall!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, I did notice that picture. I figgure its one of their growing beds. Looks more like a lily jungle than a garden clump.

I have been looking at some lilies at the lily garden. In fact, I have their order form printed out and thinking about ordering some.

Your pictures and your lilies are lovely.

I want to start putting lilies in the driveway side yard garden which I redid and put daylilies in last fall. The plan was then to put bulbs in but I just never got to it last fall.

• Nancy
    14 years ago

Beautiful lilies alina! I looked through my pictures & realized I didn't take pictures of my orienpets last year, my first year for them. I'll have to do better this year. Don't have many, but I try to pick up a few new lilies every year.

• alina_1
    14 years ago

Thanks for your kind words! These Lilies are in their first year too. Deer ate about a half of my Lilies last year :( , so I have not seen many of my Lilies in bloom yet... Hope I will manage to repel them somehow this year.

• flora2b
    14 years ago

Here is a pic of the stalks and buds.....it is about 6 feet tall here. I started with one bulb about 5-6 years ago and scaled when I planted.
    {{gwi:1026508}}
    I have now moved them to a larger area with full sun, so shall see how they perform this year.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I bet that looked really great when it bloomed.

• kprp
    14 years ago

Treat your Silk Road lilies well and they will reproduce for you. In a few years you'll have half a dozen lilies from that one $12.95 bulb. Yes, that's a rather high price but Silk Road is a strong lily that should perform well for you.

The OT lilies are fab!

• gardenfanatic2003
    14 years ago

I LOVE Silk Road. Started with 2 bulbs from Parks 5 or 6 years ago and this year 8 stalks have come up. Beautiful flowers that have a fragrance that floats over the backyard. They are more than 6 feet tall, and never need staking.

Alina, I got Honeymoon this year and am thrilled to see your photo. Now I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing the blooms this year (even more than I was already).

Deanna

• alina_1
    14 years ago

Hi Deanna,
    Glad you liked them! The only Orienpet that was somewhat disappointing for me was Satisfaction. Kind of dull color...

The single bulb of Silk Road I planted last fall seems to grow for me :0) I hope I will manage to save it from being eaten by deer this year. Anxious to see it blooming...

• gardenfanatic2003
    14 years ago

Correction - I went out and counted tonight, and I don't have 8 Silk Roads coming up, I have 11! So Newyork Rita, space them at least a foot apart, because they will for sure multiply.

Deanna

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm