Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smlechten

Question about transplanting an Asiatic Lily: Enchantment

smlechten
17 years ago

Hi. I'm very new to making any effort to maintain my landscape and care for my existing, inherited plants. I'm just now trying to reclaim several ornamental beds and relocate some plants that are not in what I consider to be ideal or preferred locations. I have one lonely little Enchantment lily that has survived in my backyard which I would like to relocate to an ornamental bed in the front. I have the same situation with a perenial tulip, but I was told that the tulip may not like being moved to a flat bed that receives more care, and may only survive one season in the new location. I'm wondering if the same goes for the lily also. The area the lily is in usually gets treated with vegetation kill and then mulched; I suspect this one remaining plant is a lone surviver of what was probably a colony planted by the former home owner at one time. Before it bloomed last year, I didn't recognize it at all, and I thought the leafy stalks were just weeds. The current location is on the east side of the house, and is at the top of a steep slope, but the area in which it sits is a fairly flat section and has only a shallow grade. It gets pretty much full sun in the early spring, then partial to substantial shade from late spring until winter (from a number of mature oak, maple, etc. trees). The soil is truly awful. The bed it would be moving to is on the west side of the house. It also gets pretty much full sun in the early spring, then partial to substantial shade from late spring until winter from a Japanese Maple. The bed is flat, I don't regularly water or fertilize, but the bed is mulched with Sweet Peet (a local, organic compost-mulch). Currently there are a bunch of established grape hyacinth and tete-a-tet thriving in front bed where I want to put the lily. I could fertilize the lily - or not, and I could also keep it well watered while it re-establishes in its new home. I'm wondering, if like the tulip the lily prefers the poor soil, lack of attention, and slope for drainage and would likely not survive in the new "improved" location? My other question, is can I move it now? I'm in the Cleveland area, so we have wet spring and fall, with a hot dry summer about 2 - 2 1/2 months from mid-June through August. The lily obviously has not bloomed, it has an 18"? leafy stalk.

Thanks,

Sherri

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks