Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sayhellonow

Tall Lily wanted for zone 5

sayhellonow
16 years ago

I know what the catalogs say, but do any of you here know of an Oriental, Asiatic, or Orienpet lily that gets 4.5' or 5' tall, or more?

I have a north-facing fence and only the tall plants get enough sun to bloom.

Comments (8)

• hld6
    16 years ago

Most oriental lilies easily get to 4' and with good growing condition will get to 5-6',(except those marketed as "miniature" or "dwarf" such as Mona Lisa). So you are pretty safe with any of those.

An oriental that is particulary tall is "Aruba". It always grows to at least 6 feet in my garden, and usually taller.

Most Orienpets are tall (reflecting their Trumpet Lily heritage). Scheherazade starts out pretty tall and gets taller as it becomes established in the garden, (in some settings can reach 9' or higher).

The asiatics don't have a reputation for being particularly tall, but if anyone knows of one feel free to correct me.

Longiflorums are also generally on the 3' scale, as are many of their hybrids, yet I have Longiflorum - Oriental hybrids Triumphator and one of the "Promise" Lilies (I think Prince Promise) that easily exceed 4 feet.

-Helen

• mamoo_z5
    15 years ago

Arena Oriental is a good 5' for me & the color is outstanding. White petals, yellow/green stripe through the center of the petal that turns to deep rose color as it reaches the tip of the petal point. There are deep pink/rose speaks on the whole inside of each petal. Do a search so you can find a picture. It is worth looking at. Fragrance is outstanding.

• philomena
    15 years ago

I have a couple Silk Road Orienpets that ranged anywhere from 6' to 8' last year. Also, the Scheherazade lilies (oriental Hybrid) are also usually 6'. Takes 2 or maybe 3 years for any of these to reach that height, but well worth the wait!

• gottagarden
    15 years ago

I have black beauty at 5-6' and it's gorgeous!

• outinthegardenallday
    15 years ago

I agree with the suggestion of Scheherazade and Black Beauty...both are magnificent plants and can get very tall. The former will take 2-3 years to reach full height of 6 feet, the latter will take about 2 years to reach her height of 5 feet.

• covella
    15 years ago

If you do a good job of deeply preparing your soil you can hurry things a bit but I agree it will take 2 years for Black Beauty anyway to make its height. My 3 yr olds got to about 6 ft last yr and I've read they can go to 9' - altho I don't expect that in my garden. You might consider Anemone Honorine Jobert or Filipendula as alternatives - both of which I've seen going to 7-8'.

• ofionnachta
    15 years ago

I have a row of Le Reve Orientals along my back deck & they were 7' this year, nearly as tall last year. Also they are now growing trunks, not stems. They get sun most of the day although in the late afternoon the sun goes around the side of the house & their light is indirect.

When they were planted they received very well prepared soil. Now they get top dressed with compost in spring.

• gardenfanatic2003
    15 years ago

My Silk Road orienpets are easily 7 feet tall, and smell wonderful!

Deanna