Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raised Lily Bed

Posted by rainydaywoman_z8 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 15:42

I'm creating a raised bed to hold my collection of lilies. Can anyone tell me how deep the soil in this bed should be? In a regular bed I plant deeply, but I don't know how deep the soil really has to be.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raised Lily Bed

What is the normal recommendation for your lilies? Eg Oriental lilies can go about 4-6" but I'm not sure if you would have other kinds of lilies.

In general, use that as a guide, then decide if you want the bottom to be more of your bed soil or your current soil below the bed.

o

I have asiatics, L.A.s, orientals, trumpets, O.T.s, old-fashioned martagons, nepalense, tenuifolium, and some speciosum Rubra, enough variety to have blooms all summer. I guess I'll go with 1 ft of soil if I can make the bed that deep.The planting box will be on plastic. I like to plant spring bulbs at the top of the hole, with lilies underneath. I'm thinking of making a separate bed for the O.Ts. They are my all-time favorites and I think I have all of them (until the next one is bred).

o

The typical planting depth recommendation for lilies is that the bulbs are covered with twice their depth of soil up to a maximum of 6-8". For example, a 2" tall bulb will be covered with 4" of soil.

I should think a bed of 10-12" should accommodate just about any lily. I would avoid putting plastic underneath as that could impede drainage and above anything else, lilies - like most other bulbs - require perfect drainage. I would also caution against intermixing spring blooming bulbs with lilies in the same raised bed. Spring bulbs, like narcissus and tulips, go dormant in summer and want to be kept dry. This is the peak of the lily season when they want routine watering. One or the other is not going to be happy.

o

Hi sunny day
Just had several rainy days here in MA
Your raised bed is interesting --any chance of getting a few
pictures-- I bought one 3 yrs ago and it may last one more yr. with our snowy winters and cold wet Springs
Have been wondering what to do to replace it--anyone with
ideas would be appreciated- Now at 73 am hoping to get
something really high -possibly a seat along side -for old
lady gardeners--
Have a good day, Mari

o

Late in replying to Mari66's post. Raised bed is made: 4x8 ft, and 2 ft deep. Handyman nailed it together quickly and inexpensively. I decided to put it directly on the soil and plant spring bulbs too---daffs, tulips, crocus.

o

for mari66.....some pics of raised flower beds from craigs list....the three tier is great for those of us who cannot bend down so good anymore!! guess I don't know how to include more than one picture...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here