Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stargazer Lily Garden

Posted by Poodle_Mom 7-8 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 6, 12 at 16:26

I have only been gardening for a few years and have mostly been working with easy to grow flowers. I wanted to start a flower bed in the front of my house. My husband bought me some stargazer lily bulbs (since I had Stargazers in my wedding). We planted them in the fall and they are coming up nicely. I want to have a nice year round flower bed and am wondering what to plant with the stargazers that will be in bloom now and not take away from the beauty of the lilies in the summer. I would also love suggestions on what to plant with them after they bloom. Thanks so much! Oh...I live in Greer, SC...zone 7-8 and the flower bed gets full sun and plenty of water.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stargazer Lily Garden

Firstly, plenty of water can be good or bad, depending on the drainage (which has to be perfect = best if elevated bed). Too much water can make the bulb rot.
Secondly, it is said that lilies do not like 'warm feet', so if in full sun, it is good to plant something to shade their roots(like shallowly rooting annuals or alike).
Thirdly, Stargazer and other lilies in the same colour get quickly ugly, dirty colour in full sun, so it is actually better to protect them from hot sunlight.
Fourthly, oriental lilies like to grow in acid soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here