Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kbgardener

Red Lily Beetles

kbgardener
14 years ago

Just wondering if anyone in CT has found Red Lily Beetles on their plants this year? They popped up in my stepmothers garden and they are destroying her flowers. I told her about the article on this site that suggested using Neem Oil to help get rid of them. Has anyone had any success with this method?

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• snowling888
    13 years ago

I hope this may help her.
    I sucess control Asiatic lily Beetles without use any chemical. They usually come to my garden in the sunny morning or sunny mid-day. I ckeck my garden right after I get up to ckeck them out. Usually, if I find some I just squeeze them and check for the eggs. They are very easy to spot since them red, same as the eggs. I do it early in the season, and kill all the explorer (scout) beetles, they only come to my garden occasionally for rest of the growing season. I use the same way to control Janpanese beetles. And it works for me , too.

• wayner2000
    13 years ago

Hi, my Red Lilly Beetles are back again this year. I noticed them yesterday and they are already eating the new lillies as they are popping up. I tried squishing them last year and thought I had had them under control. Today I am going to try Neem Oil and see if it helps.

Wayne

• lepages
    13 years ago

I'm in CT and I just noticed some red beetles today! I will tell you I am not happy. I picked them off and then sprayed with neem. I really hope this works!

• nancyd
    13 years ago

Neem did not work for me, nor did any other chemical control which I'd prefer to avoid as my lilies are planted next to my pond. The best control I've found is to pick them off every day. They like to "drop and roll." Once they drop to the ground, they roll over on their backs to hide their red wings - their brown bellies virtually disappear in the mulch/dirt. Clever, eh? I hold a small cup filled 1/2 with water and hold it under the leaves then I knock them into the cup. It's a pretty efficient method. Then I feed them to my fish...my final revenge! Has anyone heard if the biologists are getting closer to a control? I had read there was testing of a biological control (another insect) that attacked this beetle. It seems to have worked in Europe, but I haven't heard anything more lately.

• nancyd
    13 years ago

I forgot to say that if you see eggs (on the undersides of the leaves), you have to pick those off as well. That gets kind of nasty because the beetle covers them in their excrement - so it's squishy. If you don't get the eggs, they'll destroy your lilies as quickly as the adults. This is one of the worst pests I've ever had to deal with.

• MongoCT
    12 years ago

I'm in CT, I had the first one show up on April 21st on my Casa Blanca lilies.

I make the rounds when I'm home and finger-pick them off. I've found a couple of egg runs which I go at with my fingernail.

Some days there have been a few, some days none. But so far no larvae.

Last year they absolutely thrashed my lilies, I didn't know what the beetles were or what I was up against. So this year I've been on the offensive.

The egg runs I've found on the underside of the leaves are clean, just the eggs. But the larvae are indeed excrement-covered. What a way to go through life!

• Laura10801_trashmail_net
    12 years ago

Last year these little monsters decimated my lilies. They are particularly fond of Oriental and Trumpet lilies, less fond of Asiatic lilies, and seem to completely avoid Orientpet (Oriental/Trumpet) hibrids.

I've been spraying with a Spinosad based insecticide and had moderate success with it. The problem is that I forget to respray every few weeks and then the damage to lilies reminds me.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor