Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orange Pixie

Posted by gshann Z6 PA ChesCo. (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 21, 06 at 16:52

I bought 5 Orange Pixies last year, and lost the blooms after about a week or so. Maybe it was close to the end of the cycle, but that's not my question. I really didn't know too much about the plant, but when I look this year, I see exactly 26 new shoots coming up for this year. I've been away for almost a week, so that number could have even grown. My question is, at what point should these plants be divided? It sounds from other related posts that it is a little late at this time of year. Is there a risk to having so many this close together? Can they be divided this early in the year, or should I wait for fall? Will the blooms for this year be compromised because they are so close? I really like the plants, but if they are going to be this prolific in their propagation, I might look for something else...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orange Pixie

I bought orange pixies last season too (potted, right?). Apparently these do multiply quite quickly, because I noticed lots of bulblets & detached most of them. From experience with a pixie lily the year before, I am pretty sure that several of those babies may very well bloom this year. If yours are just now coming up, you might carefully dig & divid now without much loss of bloom, but they will do better to wait till after they have bloomed & the stem starts to die back. They should make a nice presentation when they bloom, and if you have extras you can always try trading for different lilies.

o

• Posted by gshann Z6 PA ChesCo. (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 22, 06 at 16:52

I think I'm going to leave them be this year. I've returned after being away all week, and they've easily doubled in size. I can't say for sure whether all 26 (I should count again) will bloom, but I'll certainly get more than the 5 I started with. It seems like these things would make pretty nice gifts, but you're right. I'd have plenty to swap and still have more than I can handle!!

o

• Posted by gshann Z6 PA ChesCo. (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 26, 06 at 17:25

This came from one plant...

I have four more of these!! Looks like I'll get blooms on more than one!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here