Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Ordered From B&D

newyorkrita
15 years ago

So I ordered from some bulbs from B&D liliies that have large bulbs and a great reputation. I got 12 bulbs, 3 each of Triumphator (Longiflorum-Oriental), Red Alert (Fragrant Asiatic), Bonbini (Orienpet), and 'My Precious' Orienpet). Thats 12 bulbs and they cost me $75.00 plus shipping. No way could I be filling trenches for mass displays and buying hundreds of bulbs at those prices.

I had been buying my bulbs from VanBougondien Wholesale but decided to branch out and get somethings "extra fancy" .

Here is a link that might be useful: B&D Lillies

Comments (6)

• Nancy
    15 years ago

You will like Triumphator. I got that one fall of '07 & loved its blooms last year. Got Bombini a few weeks ago, hope it looks as pretty as the pictures. My Precious is a beauty!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Triumphator looked good to me so decided to try it. This year I wanted to add the trumpet lillies, some orienpets and trumpet hybrids. I love the look of trumpet lillies but did not have any. Had not tried orienpets either and all these hybrids are just something I am starting to learn about.

I did a lot of planting of lily bulbs last spring when I planted about 400 from VanBougondien Wholesale. Of course, they were not all the same. I got many solid color Asiatics, spotted orientals, and lots of Tango Lillies. I made two large plantings of them, putting them in rows by type single file. For instance the planting in my backyard in my terraces garden has mixed solid color asiatics (bloom first) then next row tangos (bloom after the solid asiatics) and last row spotted oriental lillies blooming last and finish up after the row of daylilies in back of them.

I did something similiar in the front yard only no tango lillies, just the solid asiatics and the spotted orientals. If I had known how much I would love those tango lillies, I would have gotten more and put them in that grouping also.

This spring I knew I needed more lilies and wanted to add trumpets and something different. I already ordered 50 trumpet lillies from VB, 25 are planted and 25 are in the second order I did (coming). I also wanted something different so bought (and planted) 60 of their Giant Hybrid Lillies. Then theres some OT Purple Prince and a mass of Asiatic Luxor plus some Cape Lily to finish up that grouping just done afew days ago.

In my opinion lillies planted in rows only look good if its done with lots of bulbs and multiple rows. Last years grouping were done 185 lillies in one and the other had 165 lillies plus they are fairly close together so it looks like a mass of bloom. The one I just did this spring is 128 bulbs in that grouping of rows with daylilies planted around it (clumps moved from other areas of the garden.

But I wanted to start adding bulb lillies between the clumps of daylilies planted last spring in my driveway side garden. I thought the best way to do that was to get more unusual things, order afew bulbs of each variety and make a lily clump betwen each clump of daylilies in the back row of that garden. Thats what I am working on now.

• Nancy
    15 years ago

It sounds like you are doing pretty much what I am doing. I remember my grandmother having her driveway lined with iris & some daylilies, that is what I am going for. I've planted a few lilies in between the iris & daylilies, planning on putting in more as I go along. Like you, until recently I have only had asiatic & orientals, been adding trumpets & orienpets the last year or so. I loved the ones I had last year, and it was just the 1st year. I'm expecting big things this year.
    I know a lot of people don't like buying from box stores, but I bought some lilies recently from Home Depot when I had a buy one get one free coupon. Got Bernini, Tom Pouce, Pink Heaven & more triumphator, 5 bulbs of each. With the coupon they were only .55 per bulb. The bulbs weren't huge, but were blooming size & nice healthy looking. I've never had any problems with lilies from packages so far, so I'm pleased.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Until recently when I bought for mass plantings from VanBougondien Wholesale, I bought all my lillies locally from those prepackaged displays. Bought whatever appealed to me from whatever store I was in. Not just lillies but I lost track of how many plants I have growing here that I bought in the box stores, mostly Home Depot and Walmart.

I have gotten the must have more bulb lily crazies badly this spring. The thing is I didn't know any good places to buy fancy stuff mailorder. Since I have found some good mail order quality lily breeders and sellers, I just kept ordering the Trumpets and trumpet hybrids and orienpets. I figgured it was high time, since I do love lillies so much and I need to have the Trumpets and trumpet hybrids and orienpets.

Besides the order from B&D, I just ordered 3 each of five lillies from The Lily Garden. I got trumpet types and orienpets. My picks were MIDNIGHT, COPPER CROWN, Golden Sceptre, Sinfonia and Luminaries.

I really liked Quintessence too but did not get it because it was one of the pricier ones (and I had to have that purple one called midnight). Plus I also really liked Ice Caves but too expensive, passed it by.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Lily Garden

• alina_1
    15 years ago

Great varieties Rita! I do not have any of them. Please post pictures when they will bloom for you.
    I bought a bag of Lilies at the local Costco today: 9 bulbs of 'Red Dutch' and 9 bulbs of 'Serrano'. Both are Orienpets. The price is about $13 for the bag of 18 bulbs - couldn't resist... Love Orienpets. They also had nice Asiatics, Orientals and mixed Trumpets. The bulbs are not as fresh as in February, but still OK.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hurray, my lilies came from B&D today and I got them all planted. My mail comes late but I figgured I might as well get them in the ground so that they can start growing. And it was only 12 bulbs which made four groupings of three.

They were mostly very nice bulbs but 2 of the MY PRECIOUS bulbs are monsters by my standards. As big around as my hand, I have never see lily bulbs that big.