Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elaustin_gw

Asiatic lilies---should I divid them?

elaustin
10 years ago

I bought clearance lilies last year, transplanted to my yard. They seem come back very we'll, but I feel a little bit crowed. There some stem are thick, but some look thin. I don't know if I should divid them to different place?

Comments (13)

• elaustin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you gardener8, thank you for your response. I want to divide them because I'm afraid of there are not enough space to let them grow well, but also afraid that I might loss them if do not do it in right way/time.

I think I might observe them for couple weeks or months to see how they grow then decide from there. Thanks again.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

You most definitely do not want to divide them now. Lily bulbs are quite fragile, as are the shoots that will bear the flowers, and attempting to divide them now could easily result in damaged bulbs and broken stalks. That means no blooms this season.

Asiatics can grow and bloom well in quite a crowded population. In fact, I like the look of them better when they are closely clustered - more of an impact than when more spaced out.

After the lilies flower and the stalks begin to brown and die back is the best time to lift and divide. That is usually late summer. Just dig the bulbs up carefully to prevent any damage. And replant ASAP.

elaustin thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • elaustin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your post, gardengal48! It helps a lot. I will not divide them this year or at least before bloom. Hopefully they can grow well. Thanks!

• mari66
    9 years ago

Hello
    I am very new to growing bulbs and other than crocus and tulips I usually buy at Walmart
    I got 5 Oriental lily bulbs -are they the same as yours ?They are just coming up -planted these last June

• mari66
    9 years ago

one more photo in other area where 3 were planted

• indica_
    9 years ago

hello, yours look like oriental lilies.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    9 years ago

I also bought asiatic lillies on clearance end of last year (6 of them -- Tiny Hope).

It appears that 10 flower buds have pushed through. Will I get even more next year?

Mine are not as far up as the OP but I am in Mich. and it has just started to warm up here.

• indica_
    9 years ago

probably get tons more :)

• elaustin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My lily is already blooming, really excited. I'm wondering does it just bloom once? Then we have to wait until next year?

• duluthinbloomz4
    9 years ago

Yes, it will bloom only once. After the last bud has opened and fallen away, I usually just cut off the "candelabra" - little stems where the flowers were attached so no energy is wasted on the seed pods that form at the tips. Leave the stalks and foliage to die back and turn brown naturally.

You have nice little clumps there - so much more attractive than spaced out like marching soldiers.

elaustin thanked duluthinbloomz4
  • elaustin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It has been a year since I posted my concern last year. The lilies are growing great. I did not divid them last year, now they seem crowed together. From second picture you can seem there is new grow branch has light yellowish spot that because I got them out of the weed block fabric....I think this year might be time to divid them. Any advises?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    8 years ago

They really don't need to be divided as often as you think. The plants themselves will tell you when it's time as they will become very congested and not bloom well. I have left them in place for as long as 5 years before needing to dig and separate and replant.

If you do decide to divide this year, wait until the flower stalk has ripened and aged to brown and the foliage is dry, in late summer/early fall. Dig carefully, divide or separate the bulbs and replant right away.

elaustin thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz