Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
newby gardener

Posted by anitarenea florida (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 9, 06 at 19:34

I am not an experienced gardener by any means. But, when I saw the asiatic lilies at lowes, I couldn't help myself. Since I planted them two weeks ago, five out of eight have lost their flowers. Will they reflower this year, and if so, do I cut off any part of the stem to help them? All of the plants still look healthy. I'm just not sure what to do now. Any help would be appreciated. Thankyou.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: newby gardener

They only bloom once a year, so if they were in bloom when you got them, they're done for the year. Once the blooming is done, you can cut off the dead flower head, just below where it starts on the stalk. That way the plants won't put their energy into seed production, but into growing a bigger, stronger bulb and roots. The remaining leaves are busy storing up nutrients and energy. Once the leaves on the stem have turned yellow or brown, you can cut it to the ground. The following spring, it will grow again and possibly bloom again. However - I'm not at all sure that Asiatic lilies will thrive in Florida. They like a good winter chill. They may or may not get bigger and/or bloom next year. I don't know if they tolerate being dug up and refrigerated and replanted in the spring.

Jeanne

o
RE: newby gardener

The only thing to add to what the poster above me said is that you should give some fertilizer now. If you liquid feed spray the foliage. You can give bulb food around the base of the lily now if you do not foliage feed. Next spring when the lily first begins to come up give more bulb food all around the base of the plant. This fertilizing will help feed the bulb to give you good blooms next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here