Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
strange baby foliage

Posted by Rosidah Brunei (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 21:48

Message: I am new to planting lily. Last December I planted Asiatic lily bulbs here in Brunei that has tropical climate. They bloomed beautifully in February and had started producing bubil and bublets. However the shape of baby lily look very strange as the foliage were so huge and has no stem..

I wish to know if this is normal and I could expect the same bloom next season (the mother plants stay healthy in our climate and doesn\'t show any sign of deteriorating). Our weather doesn\'t have four seasons.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: strange baby foliage

I wonder if this is a case of fasciation? I think I would separate it from the mother plant and grow it on to see what happens.

o

The little baby plant looks very normal--that's the way they look the first year. Next year it will get a stem. It will begin flowering in a year or two. You're lily will need to go dormant or have a cool rest period in between blooming. The leaves will turn yellow and fall and you can cut the stem off at that point. If you live in the tropics where the temperatures never reach 32'F or 0'C for 6 to 8 weeks, you may have to rest this lily in a refrigerator for an equal time in order for it to develop good blooms for next year.

o

Thank you very much Interspecific for the info.

Rosidah

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here