Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you identify type of lilly by the leaf?

Posted by ladyrose65 6bNJ (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 23:29

I dig up my lilies every fall and replant, according to my count it was 37 lilies. They are emerging and I have counted 63 so far, everyday a new one emerges. Last year I had a lot of these emerge "Trebbiano Colorful Asiatic Lily, and Centerfold Colorful Asiatic Lily, and the one in the picture below: Can I tell by leaf variation whether I got Asiatic stargazers, Casablanca or just numerous repeats of the lilies I mentioned?

Any websites will be helpful. I am going to pull up the one-leaf babies and post on trade site. I love lilies but this is too much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you identify type of lilly by the leaf?

Only a very experienced lily hobbyist would be able to visually verify or identify to an extent what is what once they become intermingled. Leaf color and charactur is only one clue. The color and charactur of the bulb and stem are two more. Rate of multiplication is another.

It's important to note there are 9 major divisions (families) of lilium. The most common ones are Asiatics, Orientals, and Trumpets. Most all commercially available lilies today are hybrids of these. You have two types, Asiatics (Trebbiano, Centerfold and the orange one) and Orientals (Casa Blanca and Stargazer).

Asiatics multiply much faster than Orientals. And their bulbs are different color and texture/appearance/size, etc. So, in your situation, it is poissible to seperate them into two groups: Asiatic and Oriental. You will have many more Asiatic than Oriental bulbs. Then once those are seperated, you can further try to seperate them into smaller subgroups by bulb color and texture. In this manner, you may be able to seperate all five you have mentioned but you still won't be able to tell them by name until they have grown substantially in height or near budding stage.

The Fall (October) is the best time to seperate/transplant lilies.

o
RE: Can you identify type of lilly by the leaf?

Interspecific, Thank You. I've got lilly hell! I think I'm going to have a roadside giveaway. I'm pretty sure most of them are the orange one whose picture I've posted above. I had no idea they would multiply so fast and heavy. However, I adore them when they bloom!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here