Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lily bulbs are sprouting - how deep should I plant them?

Posted by pianist 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 18, 10 at 23:48

Hi there

I have some lily bulbs - stargazers - and many have already begun to sprout. Some are short sprouts (about an inch) but others are about 3 inches. Should I cover the entire sprout, or have some of the tip protrude above the soil?

Also - any special tips on how to position bulbs that have long sprouts?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lily bulbs are sprouting - how deep should I plant them?

I bury mine about a foot. It keeps me from having to stake them.

o

Leave the ends of the long sprouts protruding above the ground. Lilies can pull themselves down with their roots so they will adjust the depth later. If the sprout is short, you can bury the bulb at the recommended depth (2-3 times the diameter of the bulb).

o

Thanks for your help!

Another question: Alina, re. the longer sprouts; if the sprouts are 3 inches, would you leave a quarter inch protruding? I am worried that a long sprout protrusion might break or not be able to develop into a strong stem. What do you think?

o

A quarter inch is OK. Another option is digging a deeper hole, but not covering the entire bulb+sprout at the planting time. You can add soil gradually later. Also, I would not worry about stronger stem now. Usually, Lilies are shorter their first year in the ground. I planted sprouted Lilies as late as in June. They were just fine. Lilies are tough. If deer will not eat them, you will see them blooming this year ;)

o

what about the little bulblets. Can these be planted on their own when dividing in spring?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here